News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE40 with Unusual Type 41 Handset

Started by RDPipes, March 31, 2023, 02:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I've seen a lot of 41 handsets but, not all of them and when I seen this one it reminded me of a 38 with the paint brass bands. Anyone ever see one like this and or know why it is the way it is? Usually I either see these with black Bakelite bands or chrome ones, never with what I assume is brass painted black bands. Sorry about the quality of the photos, its the sellers photos.

rdelius

Some had the grooves molded in

Doug Rose

I have had Chrome and Brass bands painted. Perfect chrome finger wheels and retainers painted over.

It's not that the bands were bad or pitted, as I remove the paint and they are perfectly presentable

Not sure why they were painted....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 31, 2023, 04:31:38 PMI have had Chrome and Brass bands painted. Perfect chrome finger wheels and retainers painted over.

It's not that the bands were bad or pitted, as I remove the paint and they are perfectly presentable

I've had brass bands painted and that's just the way they are stock but, these were on a type 38 handset not the 41 and all the black finger wheels I've had were brass underneath. I'm sure that if they needed black bands or finger wheels and ran out they would just paint the chrome ones black to use.

rdelius

Molded in with no metal rings

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on March 31, 2023, 07:37:37 PMMolded in with no metal rings
Gotcha! We'll have to wait and see if this one is I reckon.

stub

AE Catalog 4055 E has AE 40,43,44,47,and 60 series pay stations using this handset. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

RDPipes

Quote from: stub on March 31, 2023, 10:09:46 PMAE Catalog 4055 E has AE 40,43,44,47,and 60 series pay stations using this handset. stub

I believe I have a copy, I'll check it out, Thank you Stub!

Sorry Stub, looked at that catalog (4055 E Feb 49) and didn't see or read anything describing that particular handset, all were the same as most of us have seen with just two lines suggesting a band on the receiver and transmitter nothing looking like a multi lined band painted like found in chrome or on a #38 handset painted black brass. Reckon the real mystery will have to wait for an answer when it arrives.

FABphones

I took a look at the handsets I have here and found this one on an AE40 (no dial).

The circles/grooves on this one are part of the handset, no band.

Link to thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22824
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 31, 2023, 04:31:38 PMI have had Chrome and Brass bands painted. Perfect chrome finger wheels and retainers painted over.

In the UK the GPO would never have any bare brass parts on display as they would tarnish, so they were always either painted or (more usually) chemically blacked. So the phone company painting brass is of no surprise to me but why they'd paint over chrome I do not know.

rdelius

Refurbishers would paint over imperfect chrome

Etienne

I have a very similar type 41 handset with both brass bands painted black. The seller removed the paint from the transmitter band and the brass is rather rough, so I guess it was intended to be painted from the very beginning.
Phone found in France with no markings on the base but glue leftovers, most certainly a wartime military phone with felt base and metal dial holder that came there at the end of WW2. The phone does not seem to have been refurbished.

G-Man

Quote from: Etienne on October 28, 2023, 10:34:47 AMI have a very similar type 41 handset with both brass bands painted black. The seller removed the paint from the transmitter band and the brass is rather rough, so I guess it was intended to be painted from the very beginning.
Phone found in France with no markings on the base but glue leftovers, most certainly a wartime military phone with felt base and metal dial holder that came there at the end of WW2. The phone does not seem to have been refurbished.
Hello Etienne-

The US Military would have specified that the brass bands be painted black.

I have included a schematic and wiring diagram for a desk telephone set that the U.S. Army Signal Corps designated as a TA-101/FTC (AE40).

Etienne

Thanks a lot. I had forgotten about the Signal Corps dials with an extra shunting spring, my phone has the regular dial and a frequency ringer.