News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First 302!

Started by Don_18, February 04, 2023, 05:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_18

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 06, 2023, 12:58:35 PMWelcome to the forum. You have found the best forum on the net.
A warning, Phoneitis is a progressive, incurable disease. I hope you have not caught it yet...

Thanks Harry, it is satisfying to bring bring it back to life. I have already gained a ton of knowledge from this site and its great to see how helpful everyone is.

Unfortunately, I think it is already too late for me!  The 302 bumped a 5302 off the end table and my '56 500 set will be up to bat next. There is also a PBX hiding in the basement that needs to get mounted and wired.  ;D

Don_18

Quote from: HowardPgh on February 06, 2023, 03:37:36 PMThe 302 is my favorite style of the Western Electric. It's  such a demure looking phone with a relatively small foot print. I love your solution to the ringer problem, very creative thought.

Thanks! I get lucky every now and then  :)

tubaman

Quote from: Don_18 on February 06, 2023, 08:39:33 PMUnfortunately, I think it is already too late for me!  The 302 bumped a 5302 off the end table and my '56 500 set will be up to bat next. There is also a PBX hiding in the basement that needs to get mounted and wired.  ;D

Chronic Phonitis without a doubt. There is no known cure I'm afraid but you can ease the symptoms by getting more phones.
 ;D 

HarrySmith

Oh well. I guess I was too late. Tubaman is correct, more phones will make it easier to tolerate ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

Even though they started mass-producing the 500 in 1950, they kept making the 302 into 55, and kept making the components and the F type handset well into the 70s.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

I have a good ringer for $15.00 + shipping.

Mike

oldguy

I also like the looks of a 302 & the fact you can buy what looks like a junk 302 & plug it in & it will usually work. I know I have way too many black ones boxed in the garage, I just can't say no to a good deal on one. Just wait until you start spending money on the colored ones😁
Gary

Don_18

Well, I found another $20 302. This one was way more of a project, but it cleaned up nice enough. Handset cord was really dry and just fell apart, so it was replaced with a reproduction. Little bit of sanding and it was shiny again, its far from perfect, but I'm happy with the results.

MMikeJBenN27

They kept making the 300 series phones into 1955.  The 500 may have been announced in 49, but they didn't actually start making them in any quantity until later 1950.

Mike

Don_18

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 24, 2023, 10:40:07 PMThey kept making the 300 series phones into 1955.  The 500 may have been announced in 49, but they didn't actually start making them in any quantity until later 1950.

Mike

Yeah, my earliest 500 is a '53, still looking for an older one  :)

MMikeJBenN27

I have one for early 51!

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Great job!

Mike

oldguy

Beautiful restoration Don. came out really nice.
Gary