News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Worst Condition Sign Ever on eBay?

Started by Fabius, April 17, 2014, 03:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I know BALTCO Made some early signs, so I guess they may have continued after manfucturer's names were no longer stamped on signs
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 21, 2015, 08:44:19 AM
I know BALTCO Made some early signs, so I guess they may have continued after manfucturer's names were no longer stamped on signs

What makes me think they didn't make the '21 Bell 11x11 or hubcaps is that most of the 11x11 are the exact same style. The only excepts I know of are the Pacific T&T and Bell Telephone of Nevada that have a somewhat different look. There are 11x11 '21 Bell signs where the company name is in bold type such as the Citizens Telephone sign. But by looking at the bell you can see it's the same maker.

I have a ING RICH pamphlet that shows examples of the signs they make and a '21 Bell AT&T AND ASSOCIATED COMPANIES 11x11 is shown that is exactly like the '21 Bells we know and love.

On a side note. I've seen only one Bell Telephone of Nevada 11x11. Paul Engleke (sp?) of Florida had it and I saw it at a show. He was collecting telephone signs in the 1960s.

I'll see if I can find when BALTCO went out of business.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

QuoteWhat makes me think they didn't make the '21 Bell 11x11 or hubcaps is that most of the 11x11 are the exact same style.

But there are differences.  The so-called "older style" 21' bell vs. the newer style.  Think of the variations in your Southwestern Bell signs.  Perhaps these were the result of different manufacturers rather than changes over time?  The early BALTCO signs look pretty similar to the ING-RICH (and IMPERIAL) with only slight variations. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 21, 2015, 05:42:15 PM
QuoteWhat makes me think they didn't make the '21 Bell 11x11 or hubcaps is that most of the 11x11 are the exact same style.

But there are differences.  The so-called "older style" 21' bell vs. the newer style.  Think of the variations in your Southwestern Bell signs.  Perhaps these were the result of different manufacturers rather than changes over time?  The early BALTCO signs look pretty similar to the ING-RICH (and IMPERIAL) with only slight variations.

I was talking about strictly the 11x1 '21 Bells. Even the early 11x11 (wide white boarder) '21 Bells look the same as the later thin white boarder signs.

I searched for Baltimore Enamel  and it appears they were in business at least into the forties. I was surprised to find they were a large company as big or bigger then Ingram-Richardson.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

I was going to buy this one but I noticed that the flange had been straightened. 8-)

http://tinyurl.com/pvhhz2x

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Maybe the other side looks better?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

What was this one before it got a shave?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

I was wondering about that one. At first I thought it was cut off the end of one of the big signs used at railroad stations and such. But notice that the wide white boarder seems to go all round the face.  And it has two sides which usually rules out a flat sign. So I think it lost its flange?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

That's what I thought.  Usually I would expect something at the top though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 10, 2015, 07:03:57 PM
Usually I would expect something at the top though.

What do you mean?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

PAY STATION, TELEPHONE OFFICE, NEW ENG TEL & TEL, etc.  If it was all white we would not look at it twice, but the blue in the background is unusual, without any additional markings above and below.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This AT&T "Local and Long Distance Telephone" was a really cool sign at some point in time.  I think this one is even too crappy for my "Wall of Shame"

bell telephone porcelain sign
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a really crusty (but cool) CO sign from the 1890s early 1900s

New England Telephone & Telegraph Porcelain Sign ~ Central Office
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

That sign has also been seen pointing to the right.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

This one is pictured on p. 432 of Ron Knappen's Payphone History.  I think since New England Telephone is no longer with us, the finger pointing towards Heaven is more appropriate :'(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409