News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE/AE Modular connectors

Started by markosjal, May 01, 2022, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

Anyone else remember these extra long modular Plugs on AE Phones?

Were these different due to a WE Patent issue or something?

I'll post a link to a current auction on ebay then post the final pic in that listing here .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203444450016
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

RotoTech99

I can't say for sure, but I think Harris/Dracon made long plugs like that... Sometime in the 70's GTE adopted the modular plugs we know today.

RotoTech99

Jon Kolger

I worked I&R for GTE for 30 years and probably installed thousands of AE phones, but I never saw a modular plug like that one.  It might be some sort of aftermarket plug.  Some of the Harris/Dracon test plugs that you would use to clip your test set onto looked similar to that.

compubit

The modular cables I recall down in suburban Dallas (Carrollton/Lewisville) had longer plugs, and stuck out from the modular jack about and 1/8-1/4 inch. AT&T plugs were flush with the front edge of the jack, and were a pain to get out - as the retracting clip was effectively inside the jack and needed some sort of tool (small screwdriver) to get the plug out (i.e., the jacks, while modular, were deeper than normal AT&T jacks...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!