News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Feet or 5302 Feet or?

Started by RDPipes, August 15, 2022, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Looking through my stash for some leather covered 302 feet I though I had I come to find out there not quite the same as I remember, big surprise there, LOL! Anyway, there the right shape, covered with leather but there's a screw hole that goes completely through. I may have taken these off a 5302 years ago I'm thinking that had two rubber feet in the back but, I can't confirm that. Anyone recognize'em?

HarrySmith

Proper 302 feet. They were riveted on.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 15, 2022, 11:52:08 AMProper 302 feet.

Hmm, that's strange because all my 302's and I have 5 not counting the 306's have ones that the screw goes through
the top and not all the way through. I'll check again but........

Nope, everyone including the 306's have NO hole through Harry.
Are these from an earlier 302 maybe, 37-40?

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on August 15, 2022, 11:51:17 AMLooking through my stash for some leather covered 302 feet I though I had I come to find out there not quite the same as I remember, big surprise there, LOL! Anyway, there the right shape, covered with leather but there's a screw hole that goes completely through. I may have taken these off a 5302 years ago I'm thinking that had two rubber feet in the back but, I can't confirm that. Anyone recognize'em?

Those are not WE feet off of a 302 or 5302. WE feet for that base were triangular in shape. I had a North with leather feet that were the same screw and pin (mounting) size as a 302 but they were more round and thicker.

The attached shows the difference between a North Galion and WE 302/5302 feet. The Galion had a hole through the leather because the feet for the Galion were screwed onto the base, the holes in the base had the threads.

The 302/5302 (same base) have the threads in the metal foot and are screwed on from inside the base.

Yours have a different look altogether and ISTR those being either off of an SC or maybe a WE 500.

Early 500 feet were leather and all 500 feet are riveted on. They had the more round shape, as yours has, rather than the triangular feet used on a 302 to clear the base embossments.

If I were to guess, I'd say early 500 feet, but I've never taken the leather feet off of a 500 to see what the side that meets the base looks like.

RDPipes

Okay, I did have a North Elec. Galion years ago and I had a Stromberg Carlson like the WE 500 only a wall mount with those weird claw like hook switch buttons to hold the handset in place. But, to think of it I wouldn't have scrapped out the North electric and I had several S-C's so they might just be off a S-C then. But, I also had a few 500's I know I scrapped out, oh well, one of the two anyway.
Gees! I reckon I outta start labeling things I don't use all the time, LOL!
Thank you sir!

TelePlay

This is what the WE 500 feet look like. I don't have a SC 500 to compare, all my SC 1243's have rubber posts for legs.

The plastic feet can be turned. The leather feet can not. The bases on the left and right have the two top feet with the rounded side outward and the bottom two have the flat sides outward, the round side inward.

The two piece construction of the leather legs must mean they have the two posts in holes on the base to keep them from turning. So, your feet could be WE 500 leather feet.

RDPipes

Okay, there must have been two rubber feet and two leather covered feet otherwise  I'd have 4 feet.
Odds are that I wouldn't have taken just two feet off if there were 4 leather covered ones. Must have been an early refurbished one and they didn't want to take two perfectly good feet off being they weren't really going to be seen, and replace them with rubber ones. That's mys story and I'm sticking to it!  ;D

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on August 15, 2022, 11:51:17 AMLooking through my stash for some leather covered 302 feet I though I had I come to find out there not quite the same as I remember, big surprise there, LOL! Anyway, there the right shape, covered with leather but there's a screw hole that goes completely through. I may have taken these off a 5302 years ago I'm thinking that had two rubber feet in the back but, I can't confirm that. Anyone recognize'em?

These are for a North Electric H4 or H6.  The earliest 302s did have riveted feet, but they were triangular in shape, and the locating bumps were not in that location.

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 15, 2022, 03:41:41 PMThese are for a North Electric H4 or H6.  The earliest 302s did have riveted feet, but they were triangular in shape, and the locating bumps were not in that location.

Mike
Okay, then I must have gotten these as part of a lot I bought years ago, I wouldn't have scrapped out a
North Electric phone cause I only had one that I remember and I gave it to my daughter. Thank you Mike.

HarrySmith

Quote from: RDPipes on August 15, 2022, 11:54:59 AMHmm, that's strange because all my 302's and I have 5 not counting the 306's have ones that the screw goes through
the top and not all the way through. I'll check again but........

Nope, everyone including the 306's have NO hole through Harry.
Are these from an earlier 302 maybe, 37-40?

My mistake, the 500 feet are the ones that are riveted on.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on August 15, 2022, 02:07:14 PMThe bases on the left and right have the two top feet with the rounded side outward and the bottom two have the flat sides outward, the round side inward.

Being curious, I took the housing off of the 500 on the left in the above image.

Turns out, the plastic feet have positioning pegs and they are off set from center.

Also, we drilled the front positioning holes in the base differently than the back positioning holes.

The back positioning holes are to the lip side of the rivet center.

The front positioning holes are away from the lip side of the rivet center.

Using one design for the feet with two sides being fairly straight and the third side rounded, the only way to get the rivet hole in the base to match the rivet hole in the feet would be to have the front feet show the flat sides and the rear feet show the rounded side of the feet.

And the holes in the base for the 500 with leather feet are the same, rounded showing on the back, two flat sides showing on the front. Guess that allowed them to easily swap out leather feet for plastic during refurb.

Now isn't that interesting and I wonder why they wanted the front feet to be positioned different than the back feet?

RDPipes

Boy! Did I stir up a can of worms!
At this point I don't even care what they came off of, what ever they came off of I don't own
so I'll have them what ever it is they go to when I get one or not and I'm thinking NOT! LOL!

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on August 15, 2022, 06:46:48 PMBoy! Did I stir up a can of worms!

Stirred up the curiosity once one looks closer to something they've seen a hundred times and never noticed.

I suspect they put the rounded side of the feet on the back so when putting the phone down, there is more protection for the housing. And, putting the flat sides on the front gives it a more sleek look, not much of the foot showing. WE engineers were the best in the world and looking at 500 feet shows they left nothing to happenstance. Everything was done the best to last and keep the overall costs down over the long run, until 1982 showed up.