News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Phone Rotary Dial Automatic Electric Co Chicago

Started by Doug Rose, February 16, 2023, 03:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got this because I wanted the transmitter. It was definitely two boxes.

The subset has two frequency ringers.

Phone looks like it will be fun to get to work.

Any idea on the model numbers? These are both very heavy.

Can't beat the price....$28 delivered....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204235014330
Kidphone

Contempra

Hey Doug ! nice phone and once it is restored, it will be beautiful.

tubaman

Nice find and a nice price.
They aren't frequency ringers in the subset, just separate ones for the two lines.
Think it might be for one of these (my one from this topic - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19956):

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on February 17, 2023, 04:12:29 AMNice find and a nice price.
They aren't frequency ringers in the subset, just separate ones for the two lines.
Think it might be for one of these (my one from this topic - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19956):
thanks Tubaman, I will play with them this weekend....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Tubaman is correct, ringers ring LOUD; made me jump! :o

Back has L 528 A 0 in vermillion.

Very clean inside after removing bird nest, shredded paper and assorted dirt. Oxidation on front but it is solid. My guess a barn, cellar or attic for a long time.

Kidphone

Doug Rose

According to Forum AE Expert, Stub, the Subset is an AE 31-B Two Line. Both ring Loud, the Black gong is cut so the sound is different.

This cleaned up very nice. I am intrigued by all the work done and parts engineered into a small space.

The cover had a frequency ringer schematic on it. I think the cover was an after add as the screw did not fit into the base to lock it. Cover was also fairly rusted where the base was in very nice condition. This was in a barn or someplace very dirty for a long time. Long time. :'(

I removed the cover and will display the subset in my Phone Room with no cover. I will bring Dial tone to it for show and tell  ;D I am very happy with this since I only bought this for the transmitter on the AE 21 which Stub said is an older model....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

The AE 21 Wall Set (thanks again Stub) had had a tough life. Receiver is gone and the dial is seized so there is zero movement.

Cloth wire is losing its insulation and is bare wire in many places. I did buy this for the transmitter which Stub said is older and has most of its original paint, so it my be parted out as the case show significant rust. That decision is for another day....Doug
Kidphone

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 17, 2023, 11:19:37 AMafter removing bird nest

A bird's nest!  That is a new one for me.  I have come across dead spiders, insects, etc., but never a bird's nest!

Very nice job cleaning it up.  It looks almost brand new!

Wade

Contempra

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 19, 2023, 12:06:51 PMThe AE 21 Wall Set (thanks again Stub) had had a tough life. Receiver is gone and the dial is seized so there is zero movement.

Cloth wire is losing its insulation and is bare wire in many places. I did buy this for the transmitter which Stub said is older and has most of its original paint, so it my be parted out as the case show significant rust. That decision is for another day....Doug

This looks like a good project but,...easily restored if you have the missing parts, Doug . For rust, many people use "EVAPORUST" which works great. As for the paint, be careful, it may contain lead. A lot of old appliances have lead in the paint, even this type of phone can contain lead. I don't remember what the product is, but it can determine if the device, toy or other device, contains lead. Denis .

tubaman

That cleaned up nicely.
I'd keep the cover as I think it's the correct one. The diagram allows you to write on the ringer frequency if applicable, which in this case it isn't as they aren't tuned ringers.

Witty

Outstanding job on the AE 31-B Doug. It's beautiful!
Ken

Doug Rose

Thanks folks, I am very please with it. It sure is different. I will hand on to the cover as you never know what will happened....Doug

Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

thanks Gary....this is really loud, especially with the cover off
Kidphone