News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sticker Removal from Phones

Started by Contempra, February 27, 2023, 07:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hi to all . I have a Contempra whose case has "self-stickers". How do you remove them , and what products do you use for that ? Thanks in advance .

TelePlay

Depends on the condition of the sticker and where it has been applied, metal or plastic surfaces.

On plastic and if the adhesive is still "soft," heating it slightly with a hair dryer on low and while warm, removing the paper. Any adhesive residue can be removed with a cotton patch soaked in Goo-Be Gone or Goof Off, both citrus oil based solvents.

A 6" plastic ruler help get, to encourage the paper off once soaked with these solvents (use an end of the ruler to "scrape" the sticker off - will not mark the plastic.

If the adhesive is rock hard, it is part of the plastic and won't dissolve, be removed, with the above solvents (actually any solvent). In that case, it can only be sanded off.

In both cases, the plastic under the sticker will most likely be a different color either protected from UV color change or discolored by the adhesive itself.

If on metal, lacquer thinner, acetone or spirits can be used (these will also remove stamped on printing so use the above plastic glue removers on stickers placed over printing).

Every sticker is a different case when trying to remove it.

Contempra

Thank you very much TelePlay . The sticker is on the plastic on the shell , but as the handset was always on top, the color under the sticker is the same as everywhere on the phone which, by the way is very clean. There is still some glue residue but I will see it at some point. The important thing is that the phone works very well .

FABphones

In my experience of the gooey type of sticker residue, vegetable oil from the kitchen cupboard has worked well. Apply on a piece of paper kitchen towel and rub to remove.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on February 27, 2023, 08:00:27 AMIn my experience of the gooey type of sticker residue, vegetable oil from the kitchen cupboard has worked well. Apply on a piece of paper kitchen towel and rub to remove.

I'll try it . Thanks FAB

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on February 27, 2023, 08:00:27 AMIn my experience of the gooey type of sticker residue, vegetable oil from the kitchen cupboard has worked well. Apply on a piece of paper kitchen towel and rub to remove.

I finally tried Canola oil to remove the glue residue and, .... it worked very well.

Contempra

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2023, 07:35:05 AMIn both cases, the plastic under the sticker will most likely be a different color either protected from UV color change or discolored by the adhesive itself.

Just a reminder; the plastic below the glue residue, had the same color as the rest of the phone, this is due to the fact that the handset cacahit the sticker ... By the way, I don't know the color of this Contempra ( It's a dark orange ) Here's a picture of the one that had a sticker just above the phone number ( not working of course lol ) that shows that the canola oil is doing the job... and a picture of my other Contempra that is the same color as my avatar . So, two orange colors, but with a different tone... The photos do not do justice to the two phones... the ( 01 ) is darker than the ( 02 ) . Anyway the glue was on the '01' just above the phone number just below.  They both work.