News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lineman handset test phone, who made it?

Started by Witty, March 12, 2023, 12:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I recently bought this handset test phone in a nearby flea market. It had a lot of surface oxidation which I was able to clean off, along with what I felt was cigarette smoke buildup on the transmitter mouth piece. Soaking overnight in a cleaning solution cleaned it very well.
The components seem very early but there is no makers mark on it.
Most impressive to me is the very early Mueller test clip it had on it. These early test clips actually will sometimes sell for more than I paid for the whole unit ($18). They started business in 1908. The clip broke off when trying to clean the cord.
Anyway, I've had trouble trying to find out the maker for this lineman test set. There is no makers marks on it.
I've provided a few pics. The cord is about 9 feet long and in excellent condition.
Thanks for any information.

Ken
Ken

Contempra

Although Mueller Electric is best known as the market leader in Electronic Clips and Insulators, we offer a comprehensive line of electronics connectors, ...

https://www.muellerelectric.com/europe

Witty

Thanks for the information.
I knew Mueller was still in business but not sure when this test clip was made. The later ones have the coiled spring on them. This one has the early metal strap spring, which is very strong and tight.

I'm still trying to find information about the handset.
Ken

HowardPgh

My uneducated guess is Federal (Ericsson Buffalo NY)
Howard

Witty

I took a better side view of the handset to show its true profile.

Ken

G-Man

Quote from: Witty on March 12, 2023, 12:16:40 AMI recently bought this handset test phone in a nearby flea market. It had a lot of surface oxidation which I was able to clean off, along with what I felt was cigarette smoke buildup on the transmitter mouth piece. Soaking overnight in a cleaning solution cleaned it very well.
The components seem very early but there is no makers mark on it.
Most impressive to me is the very early Mueller test clip it had on it. These early test clips actually will sometimes sell for more than I paid for the whole unit ($18). They started business in 1908. The clip broke off when trying to clean the cord.
Anyway, I've had trouble trying to find out the maker for this lineman test set. There is no makers marks on it.
I've provided a few pics. The cord is about 9 feet long and in excellent condition.
Thanks for any information.
Ken
I haven't looked too closely to compare them but is it similar to any of the ones shown in these catalogs?

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on March 13, 2023, 09:18:47 PMI haven't looked too closely to compare them but is it similar to any of the ones shown in these catalogs?

I've finally taken a closer look at your handset and see that it is not the same as the Kellogg version.

As far as originally being a testset, I doubt that a four-wire cord would have been used. I suspect that someone removed the two pin-plugs off the end of the two conductors (leaving the remaining two) and installed the Mueller clips (homebrewed).

I have since searched catalogs for Erickson/Federal Electric, Stromberg-Carlson, Automatic Electric/American Electric handsets and haven't seen any that are similar but perhaps I just haven't come across documentation covering the right model year as yours.

Still, I would expect that an established manufacturer would have placed their marks on it.

It does seem to be well built and other than missing parts of the books and a spring insulator, the transmitter seems to have been particularly well constructed.

Perhaps Tom Adams or another expert in early vintage sets would have a clue as to who made it.

Witty

Thanks for that information and your assumptions. I was also wondering about the 4 conductor wiring, plus the length of it being so long.
I agree it was probably from a desk or wall set then later used as a test set.
Thanks again for your time looking at this!
Hopefully someone might come up with an answer.
Ken

Witty

Looking closer there are two screw holes in the top back of the receiver cup. That makes me think there was probably a hook attached to it so it would hang on a wall phone. Two of the four bracket screws were missing, but the threaded screw holes for them are present in the back of the cup.
Just a thought...

Ken

HarrySmith

I get the feeling it is European. Have you opened it up? May be some clues inside.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

It absolutely resembles some Ericsson and Siemens & Halske designs. But the details are very different. Especially the solid back transmitter wasn't used on the European continent.
Handsets were uncommon in America in the early days, I suppose it is inspired by European models and was made by a smaller player in America as a niche product.