News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing glue from Bakelite

Started by TelePlay, November 03, 2011, 10:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Any suggestions for getting an unknown glue off of a broken bakelite piece?

I would start with water and work my way up to acetone but don't know which chemicals in that chain from mild to aggressive would hurt the exposed bakelite.

I would like to remove the glue residue from a broken piece before trying to re-glue it with crazy glue and want a good bond of bakelite to bakelite.

Glue is like paint but it's being on exposed bakelite that concerns me. Any and all help would be appreciated.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on November 03, 2011, 10:21:40 PM
Any suggestions for getting an unknown glue off of a broken bakelite piece?

I would start with water and work my way up to acetone but don't know which chemicals in that chain from mild to aggressive would hurt the exposed bakelite.

I would like to remove the glue residue from a broken piece before trying to re-glue it with crazy glue and want a good bond of bakelite to bakelite.

Glue is like paint but it's being on exposed bakelite that concerns me. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I just removed alot of glue from my bakelite French U43 with denatured alcohol.

Larry

dencins

It will need some type of contact cement but I am not sure about using Crazy Glue.  I have heard Gorilla Glue works but I have not used it.  When I was working we used 2 part epoxy on phenolic (bakelite).

As stated earlier not much will hurt phenolic or bakelite which makes it difficult to get a good glue bond.

Dennis Hallworth

LarryInMichigan

I have always found that super glue binds very well to bakelite, but when it hardens, it looks much shinier and darker than the surrounding bakelite, so it isn't easy to make an invisible patch.  Wherever possible, I apply the super glue to the inside of the part.

Larry