"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 06:50:37 PM
UPDATE! Some pics of what I found today. It never ends! I would love to hear your thoughts. The picture #4 is bell plastic boxes filled with wires and things.
Thanks,
Maureen
Hi Maureen:

The tool box in the first photos is a pretty standard early telephone repair box.

The butt sets are pin dial sets, again fairly common.

Bell2.jpg shows some fairly common too;s, strippers. punches, a punch=down tool, a pair of Scotchlok pliers, scissors, etc. Without the tools being separated in the box, there may be some less than usual tools in it, but at first glance.. Still, there is value to them.

The boxes in the next photo are interesting...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Hi Again,
I found many boxes with parts in it and one box with about 100 cords in it. Old and new all different colors. Very cool. Take a look.
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

more pics

MagicMo

More pics. The sears hard hat was given to my dad after the "top off" of the Sears tower back in 79. It has been in his closet ever since with the tags still on it. He headed a crew that helped with the antenna set up back then. I just love that hard hat!

DavePEI

You have all sorts of highly desirable parts showing in the photos. I see a number of Princess transformers, dials, the older thick cords are very desirable, especially the gray ones, and the solder is amazingly desirable - you wouldn't believe how much it would go for if you post it on eBay - especially the Nassau roll.

The rolls of wire on the middle of the solder rolls (the large ones) look like stitching wire, used with a machine to wrap around wires and cables being fastened to a carrier wire.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

I have too many pics to post. I din't think you can see it in the pic of picture "k" but it says FONE UNIT on it...not phone. Also, My dad wrote on the tube box that it was GOOD and he dated it 1967.

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 07:07:35 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 05:58:36 PM
Greg

Don't you think someone will notice a Seattle Metro bus missing, let alone chugging around Chicago?   :)

They charter them out sometimes (Metro driver included).
Actually you may need two buses, No, make that three! LOL
Maureen

A couple of buses full of phone collectors going to see the Mother Load!  Can you say "Party Bus"?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Maureen is only a few miles or so from my mother's house, and I had been contemplating a trip out there soon.  I am invited to a friend's son's wedding near O'Hare airport in a few weeks.

Larry

rdelius

WE-Nassau solder brings big money on ebay along with some WE tubes. Any picturephone items are rare.Nice collection of tools

MagicMo

A few more

MagicMo

more pics

MagicMo

more pics

MagicMo

What I still have to look through

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on November 18, 2012, 07:28:02 PM
The rolls of wire on the middle of the solder rolls (the large ones) look like stitching wire, used with a machine to wrap around wires and cables being fastened to a carrier wire.

Dave

Do they call it Stiching Wire back there Dave? We call it Spinning wire out here on the West Coast.

Someone at Ill Bell Stores must have had a hard time keeping tools in stock!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 08:11:53 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on November 18, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

Dave

Do they call it Stiching Wire back there Dave? We call it Spinning wire out here on the West Coast.

Someone at Ill Bell Stores must have had a hard time keeping tools in stock!

Terry
That's what we called it when I worked for Cablevision 23 years ago (before PO)... That and lashing wire.

No idea what Island Tel calls it...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001