News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finnish Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 04, 2014, 05:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

My Finnish phone (ebay link) arrived about an hour ago.  It is in very good condition despite having traveled from Georgia to Michigan with the big heavy plug rubbing and bumping against the side of it the whole time.  The shell and handset are a deep slightly reddish brown bakelite.  There are dates ranging from 1957-1967, and the wiring diagram shows a date of 1964.  I am guessing that this was based on the German W36 or W38.  I am curious as to why such an old design was used.  Since the phone was made in the 1960s, I expect that the vinyl cords may be original.

I gave the phone a quick test, but the dial was not able to break dial tone.  There are no markings, that I can find, on the terminal block, so I do not know if the phone is wired correctly.

Larry

unbeldi

A nice looking phone at a nice price.  I like it.

wds

Very nice colors.  Great find!
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I jut finished the Finnish phone :)  The bakelite is in mostly excellent condition, and it cleaned up well.  The handset was a bit dull, so I used some Greygate polishing paste on it.  The dial is working now.  I cleaned the contacts a bit, so that they might have been the problem.  The phone works, but like most European phones, this one had a noisy transmitter.  The transmitter is so bad, that I had to borrow one from another phone.  I could use another supply of replacements.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Wow. That is not a W48 (German standard phone), but a modell 36. Different insides and the cords exit the housing at different points.

That is great. And brown too!
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

countryman

What a nice find! I wish I could understand why this network is set up the way it is.
The Ohm values on the induction coil are just like on an ordinary German one, but the setup with 8 diodes and a light bulb definitely is not...

rdelius

Have a similar telephone built in Finland but in ivory . Was used in Turkey though.

G-Man

Quote from: countryman on October 15, 2023, 12:04:51 PMWhat a nice find! I wish I could understand why this network is set up the way it is.
The Ohm values on the induction coil are just like on an ordinary German one, but the setup with 8 diodes and a light bulb definitely is not...
Is it possible that they were following Bell Labs lead and using a lamp for current limiting for sidetone on shorter loops?