News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Roadtrip Flea score!

Started by acolabrese, July 16, 2013, 03:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acolabrese

I recently picked up these two darlings while traveling. The Payphone was only $60.00 and the WE 500 was $5. They guy selling the payphone in WV spent time as a kid in the town that I grew up in in PA. So he gave me a nice discount off of his asking price. Both phones were in bad shape. The payphone is locked, no keys, and I believe it's even glued together. I haven't had the space to work on it yet. From the rear I can see that the insides are still intact.

I did take a shot at the 500. It's dated '53 and was not refurbished minus G1 elements from the '60s. It was tricky to get going again, as the inside was filled with sawdust and the dial was completely seized. Polished out scratches with Novus and rewired it as needed. I did get it running again after a few tense hours and lots of swearing.

Have a look.

acolabrese

Another few shots.

WesternElectricBen

Nice scores!

That seems like a great deal on the pay phone, it's cool to have something that you possibly used years ago.

Ben

AE40FAN

Awesome job on the 500 refurb!

jfrutschy

Mr. Bones

Beautiful job(s) of restoration! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Beautiful phone! I have a '54 with the original straight cord. Only thing replaced on it is the dial card. ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

:D Great, and I like the payphone too.
I have actually been looking for a payphone for long, but the only ones I see is at Ebay, and I don't know enough to tell if it is intact.  The most important for me is to figure out how it works, and get working, the finish of a payphone should not necessarily  be like new.

Congratulations with 2 nice phones.  :D

dsk