News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to remove a finger wheel on a 7A dial ?

Started by Contempra, November 29, 2013, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hello.. I bought a telephone this afternoon but as I never removed or worked on a 7A dial, I don't know nothing about that..

My phone is :

baseboard is a C/D 500   5/53 =  may 1953

Dial is : 7A 5/53 1 = May 1953

network is : 5/53 = May 1953

The rest of the phone, handset is : 10/55 - October 1955

Housing is : 1 - 7 - 59  probably mean  july 1 - 1959

So, my question is, how i remove the finger Wheel?.. this finger Wheel is all metal ( aluminum )

I put some bad photos sorry

sorry for my English :D

This telephone has just need a good clean-up and it will work very well.

All the phone is Western Electric except the handset and may be the housing... they are Nothern Electric

WesternElectricBen

What you need to do is, remove that number card holder. Push down from the top and it should hinge out, or sometimes turning it to the left or right works.

Then remove the 7/16th bolt.

Then take off the flat metal thing.

And your dial should pull out.

Ben

Contempra

by " number card holder " you mean the little piece of plastic in the center ?

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on November 29, 2013, 05:17:52 PM
by " number card holder " you mean the little piece of plastic in the center ?

The whole thing, the complete assembly.

Contempra

yes I found how lol sorry but another question ben,, can I oïl the dial spring ?

Thanks for your help

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

oui David my mistake :( but my question was: can I oïl the spring in the dial. thhanks

southernphoneman

Quote from: Contempra on November 29, 2013, 05:48:16 PM
oui David my mistake :( but my question was: can I oïl the spring in the dial. thhanks

here is a thread on 7 D dials and where to oil 7d dials are very similar to the 7a and this will show where to oil: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=285.0

Contempra

WesternElectricBen

You can oil the spring, though I'm not exactly sure what it will do, unless its quite rusty.

Ben

Contempra

I did not oiled the dial spring... I oiled the pivots and now my telephone works great.. :)

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 29, 2013, 09:41:32 PM
You can oil the spring, though I'm not exactly sure what it will do, unless its quite rusty.

Ben
'

In some designs a leaf spring that is dry can cause friction on itselfs. In inhibits unwinding and causes the dial to run slow. Oiling can remedy that problem.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Contempra

I just cleaned up the dial to complete and this has solved the problem of slowness. This phone had not served from the 1970s... you can imagine the dust there? a friend called me and told me that there was a bit of sizzling but I think I'll probably have to clean-up the network I don't know... but it works that's for sure.

Thank you for your comment.;)

Phonesrfun

A sizzle sound comes from the transmitter, and is usually easily fixed by taking the transmitter out of the handset and giving it a couple good raps on a table top or counter top, or just drop it on a hard surface from about a foot high.  This sounds like abuse, but it is for real.

The thransmitter is a carbon transmitter with a little chamber of carbon granuals that are supposed to be a very fine powder.  After a phone sits for many years, the carbon granuals in the chamber can become clumped together and packed.  A couple good raps on the table top will jar them loose.  If it is so bad that rapping the transmitter does not work, then swap the T1 transmitter out for another one.

For sure, cleaning the crud off the network won't have any effect on getting rid of the sizzle.  That will only make the inside of the phone look nicer.

Modified : I forgot to also say that  a sizzle can also come from a bad handset cord, which will vary the sizzle by moving the cord.  
-Bill G

Contempra

thanks Bill :) .. my handset is a  G1 by Nothern Electric 10/55 .......yes the network also need a good cleanup

EDIT: The problem is resolved Bill.......A couple good raps on my desk has solved the problem. :) thank you for your help and for the comments .