News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1008 Dial adjuncts

Started by DavePEI, March 28, 2016, 07:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Something less commonly seen are WE 1018 dial adjuncts. To years ago, I got a number of pallets of phone stuff from Don Woodbury. One less than usual item found in one box was a Western Electric 1018B dial adjunct used in conjunction with Autovon installations.

Here are two Western Electric 1008 dial adjuncts used to dial through old military systems to gain access to the Autovon system. There were attached to the side of Autovon sets on bases whose systems had not been upgraded to Touch Tone. They would dial up the Autovon network through the dial exchange via these, then access the Autovon network using the Autovon telephone it was connected to. The one on the left was mine, but I traded it with Steve Hart, as he wanted the green one for his green collection. He is sending the beige one to me in exchange. As these were made for the Military and Coast Guard primarily, they are quite scarce.As you can see, each lights.

This is the dial adjunct that went AWOL this winter, and I finally found after a month of searching in the Museum Workshop, its box having fallen behind another box on the shelves.finally, I moved the box in front of it, and there is was, right where I had put it for safekeeping :) . It was driving me nuts knowing I had it, and not to be able to find it!

Steve received the green one from me Saturday, and will soon be sending the beige one my way. I was pleased to be able to help Steve out with this, and the beige one will work just fine for me. These are Steve's photos, as both dials are now at his place until he gets the beige one back in the mail, and the photo I had of the green one taken before I sent it didn't show it lighted. Steve has changed the dial card from the 215-692-3030 extension 200 card which was on it initially. I have cropped the photos and made them both as close as possible to the same size for  better comparison.

Now I will eventually want an Autovon set to display this with, but current finances won't allow

BSP 501-164-127_tl, The full 3 page BSP is  available in the TCI Library:http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/search_result?search_phrase=501-164-127&catid=0&ordering=alpha&search_mode=all&search_where[]=search_name&search_where[]=search_description
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Along the same lines as the 1008 is another adjunct, used to allow people with dial phones to navigate through touch tone based online services, In a similar case, this device allows one to pulse dial to an online service, then to tone dial through its menus... This is a Northern Electric 1035BQA connected to a dial 500 set. 

While in the old days, this was the only allowable use, today, on a line which supports both dial and tone dialing, one can dial half the number using pulse, then the rest of the number using tone if one wished. Certainly no advantage doing that, but fun.  ;D

I got this adjunct from a fellow in Ontario a few years ago, and connected it to a matching green 500 set.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Yes, 1008 Adjuncts are very hard to find.  Steve Hart is a good friend of mine, and I was really impressed when he sent me a picture of his new green one.  I had never before seen one of those in green.

DF

edit: typo corrected.

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on March 28, 2016, 12:56:36 PM
Yes, 1008 Adjuncts are very hard to find.  Steve Hart is a good friend on mine, and I was really impressed when he sent me a picture of his new green one.  I had never before seen one of those in green
Yes, Steve got the green one from me. He wanted it badly, so I swapped my green one for his beige one... Steve changed the dial card and buffed it up a bit when it arrived Saturday. Great addition to his "green" collection, and it didn't matter to me what colour I had.

The green one is a 1008B - 51
and beige is a 1008B - 60

Both have 8B dials. Identical units other than colour.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Now we have to find Steve a green AUTOVON set to go with that adjunct!

DF

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on March 28, 2016, 10:23:43 PM
(The green one is -51, not -52.) [Typo]

DF
And me a beige one to go with the one Steve traded for it...  ;)
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Quote from: DavePEI on March 28, 2016, 11:02:59 PM
Quote from: Dave F on March 28, 2016, 10:23:43 PM

DF
And me a beige one to go with the one Steve traded for it...  ;)
Absolutely!!  Beige AUTOVON keysets do show up occasionally, but in the last few years the prices have gone ballistic.  The trick is to find one in decent condition that doesn't put you in the poorhouse.

DF

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on March 29, 2016, 12:35:43 PM

Absolutely!!  Beige AUTOVON keysets do show up occasionally, but in the last few years the prices have gone ballistic.  The trick is to find one in decent condition that doesn't put you in the poorhouse.

DF
Hi Dave:

Yes, and it certainly isn't a priority. I had had the green one for two years without displaying it with anything, but I may until I can find an affordable one connect it to a 2500. It is a bad time for finances, anyway with me being on a disability pension...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Dave F. Steve called me tonight to say he is going to try to borrow your single line set and get a photo of it with the beige adjunct before he sends the beige one to me....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

Quote from: DavePEI on March 29, 2016, 07:01:09 PM
Dave F.  Steve called me tonight to say he is going to try to borrow your single line set and get a photo of it with the beige adjunct before he sends the beige one to me....

Dave
Yes, we talked about that a couple hours ago.  I first have to do some searching and find where the phone is hiding!

DF

AE_Collector

I cant imagine ANY of us having that dilemma......

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 29, 2016, 11:41:52 PM

Terry
Terry,

I cant imagine any of us NOT having that dilemma!

DF

paul-f

Quote from: Dave F on March 30, 2016, 12:33:20 PM

...Although I suspect most of us would have at least a general idea of where our AUTOVON sets are displayed or stored.  ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dave F

Quote from: paul-f on March 30, 2016, 12:47:27 PM
...Although I suspect most of us would have at least a general idea of where our AUTOVON sets are displayed or stored.  ;)
When you have as big a mess as i do, "a general idea" is just about what I have.  Unfortunately, in order to take pictures of the phone, I'll have to do better than that.

DF

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave F on March 30, 2016, 12:33:20 PM

Terry
Terry,

DF

Like when I went looking for the Green WE 1018 adjunct this spring... I looked exactly where I thought I had put it for safekeeping last fall, but to no avail! It was almost one month later when I had exhausted all other possibilities, that I thought to empty off the shelf, and voila, there is was - its box having fallen behind my lock parts box in the Museum office/workshop! It couldn't have been two inches from where I looked, but it was on a top shelf, and was hidden by the other box! Frustrating, but what a relief! So then I posted its photo on the Museum FB page, Steve saw it, and two minutes later, I got a call from him, and we worked out the deal to exchange it for the beige one! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PEITelelephoneMuseum/permalink/1561628057472501/
C*NET 1-651-0001