News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BellSouth HAC 668

Started by benkeys, October 19, 2015, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Is anyone familar with one of these phones?  I got it for a dollar today. I'm pretty sure it needs a battery but I've only been able to find a Panasonic brand for 7.00(I'd like to find one cheaper to start with). I also do not know what size power supply it actually needs. Right now I have a 200 ma 9 volt one on it, which seems to be enough power. So that leads me to some more questions: Does anybody know a part number for the battery? Does anybody know what the correct size power supply is for it? I'm also curious as to how old it is and what frequency it is, if anyone knows? I searched Google but came up with nothing but batteries.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

andre_janew

These cordless phones take a rechargeable battery.  It is normally either a 2-cell or 3-cell battery pack.  I suspect yours may take the larger of the two (3-cell).  As far as the 9-volt battery is concerned, I'm surprised someone hasn't written in and said,  "9-volt!  What're you trying to do? Blow the phone up?"

You may have to shop around some more to find something a bit cheaper, perhaps at Walmart.  Also, there may be stores in your area that specialize in batteries.

benkeys

It uses the 3 cell, 3.6 volt 300mah battery. I'm going to get the Panasonic one sometime. The current one seems to be holding a charge, at least for a short use. I have 2 battery stores, but neither one stocks that type of battery. They would have to order one from their supplier, if they could get one and I'm sure it would cost more than 6.45. I have a 9 volt power supply on it. It's what I had on hand. I chose that voltage because every modern cordless phone I had always used a 9 volt supply. If a 6 volt would be better, I think I have one that is between 100 and 300ma, I think I also have some old cell phone chargers that are between 5 and 7 volts.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

andre_janew

Your cordless phone looks similar to a GE model that I used to have.  That is why I thought it might use the 3-cell battery.  Actually, I was wondering if you could get another brand of battery cheaper.  Panasonic is a good brand, but it can be somewhat expensive.  In the meantime, a 6 volt battery would be better.

benkeys

Yeah, the cells are about half the size of a AA battery. I probably could find that voltage and cell size cheaper but then end up having to splice the plug on it. I'm fine with a 6.45 battery since it should last a few years. I found a 6 volt 200 ma power supply, it was not large enough. It would supply power, but not charge it. So I will just keep my 9 volt power supply on it. It's been on there almost a complete day with no problems, so there is no reason to change it. 

19and41

I had one of those.  It was my first cordless phone.  Got it used and kept it alive for 3 years.  I could pick those up on my police scanner, but I forget the frequency range.  It became just as much fun to pick out calls being made with those older phones.  You could hear some hot stuff.  This was in the early '90s.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

benkeys

It's not a bad phone for it's age. It's a little different but I like it. It took place of my 5304 at my desk since I need a toch tone phone for a majority of my outgoing calls. When I had some old tuneable wireless headphones I could hear one certain persons phone call quite often. It got annoying because I wanted to hear my music. I have no clue what frequcy range they were but my guess is between just above AM and just below VHF. I looked up cordless phone frequcies and it said in the 90's phones could be anywhere from 48-50Mhz. I wish I knew the frequcy of mine so I can put it in my scanner just for fun.

19and41

My scanner has a open scan that you can enter a upper and lower limit and cover that range.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke