News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very-Scarce-1951-Admiral-Flag-Ship-Type-D-Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, April 08, 2017, 07:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Interesting unit.  I'm glad to be introduced to it here.  If I saw it on Ebay, I would be trying to find the Spirit Of St. Louis tag on it.  I would have never dreamed something as fancy as that would be made for that intended purpose.  I guess such equipment would be in close proximity to someone working the Navy's pursestrings at one time or another.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Ktownphoneco

While "trolling" through the online patent files of the U.S. Patent Office today, I came across the attached patent No. 2,433,295, and obviously recognized it as having been the subject of this string of posts.     The set was invented by Mr. Theodore C., RIEBE of Chicago, IL., and assigned to Automatic Electric Labs of the same city.     The application was filed in November of 1944, and the patent was issued in December of 1947.    It was entitled,  "Loud Speaker Telephone".       For those interested, the patent is attached to this post.
Have a great evening.

Jeff Lamb

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

Also available is a design patent for this desk unit, and a patent for the apparatus chassis with the power supply and amplifier for the set.

USD141511 1945 1944 Riebe AEL--Design for a Loud Speaking Telephone Desk Set
US2438454 1948 1944 Riebe AEL--Mounting Arrangement for Electrical Equipment
US2433295 1947 1944 Riebe AEL--Loud-Speaker Telephone Set

The instrument and use is described in  NAVPERS 10557 (1958).

Jon Kolger

The JKL museum used to have a complete setup, but I imagine it was lost in the fire.  They were trying to get it to work.  I don't know if they ever did.  Remco would know.