News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No phones found on vacation.

Started by Tonyrotary, October 10, 2009, 07:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Well the title says it all. I did take a trip to Louisiana with the wife for a visit. Her parents are awsome. They took us to a giant flea market/ antique shop. Plenty of old time interesting stuff. But unfortunately no phones worth taking home. The first one I saw was a modular WE500 in poor shape and no handset cord that was priced $25. And the sticker on it advertised an old bakelite phone...lol. I did see some swedish phone but it was $75. The case was copper. My wife took a picture and I will have to post it later.

Also there was one other phone that I almost took the plunge with. I have only seen plastic replicas of this phone on ebay before though at least the replicas were rotary. The handset cord had one worn spot and someone had clipped the line cord almost all the way to the phone. The dial was sticky on the return. I wasn't sure about it as I did not know if the phone worked and it was quite a few dollars. The way this particular market is set up is that the sellers set up displays but are not always present. The price sticker is marked with a code for each seller. That is how when you bring something to the register, they know who gets the money. So I could not ask if the phone actually worked. I did not ask the wife to take a pic of this phone but will have to look for one and post it here as well. But the vacation itself was great. I must have gained 5 pounds from all the great food my wife's dad cooked!

Phonesrfun

Moral of the story is that when on vacation and you don't find any phones, stay on vacation until you do!  So, go back on vacation.
-Bill G

Dan

It's funny how you find them when you aren't looking and vice versa...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

foots

I take it you went to the large flea market just outside of Lafayette? If not where did you go?   Next time, drive over to the town of Washington - there's plenty of antique stores there, including the antique school mall where there's a swedish phone exactly like the one you described (was the handset cord green cloth by any chance?).
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Quote from: Tonyrotary on October 10, 2009, 07:03:32 PM
Well the title says it all. I did take a trip to Louisiana with the wife for a visit. Her parents are awsome. They took us to a giant flea market/ antique shop.

But the vacation itself was great. I must have gained 5 pounds from all the great food my wife's dad cooked!

We're going with you next time!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Tonyrotary

Foots, That is the exact phone! We did go to the one in Washington that use to be a school. My wife wants to know what town you live in?

Briny, come on down!....lol.