News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Can you parcel that up and send it this way? We've not had enough snow here for a couple of years, and I love snow, cos it makes everything look fresh and clean (well, before gritters, ploughs and other vehicles churn it up into black sloppy slush!)... :D

It's trying to snow at the moment, but, it's too warm and is varying between being rain, sleet & snow, all in the same showers, it'll be sloppy out there tomorrow at this rate... :-\

AE_Collector

A beautiful sunny day here in Greater Vancouver today! (sorry)...

For all of the rest of you guys, for heavens sake take it easy with the shoveling, we are all getting older every day!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 10, 2013, 07:06:18 PM
For all of the rest of you guys, for heavens sake take it easy with the shoveling, we are all getting older every day!

Just sent Linda out to shovel. With my heart, I'm not allowed to do it. Great excuse. She just told me that if she isn't back in in an hour to call in a search party.  The next door neighbours will be here in the morning with their 400 HP 4 wheel drive tractor tomorrow to do the rest! It'll go through it like butter! Linda usually shoves what isn't in the area they clear into the area they do, so they end up doing the heavy lifting and blowing with the machine.

It is an incredible machine - it just idles down the drive even with huge snowfall amounts like this. We usually don't even hear they are here until they are nearly done. Their older machines, and the one I sold this past year used to have to run at full speed!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

NO MORE SNOW!!!! the weather here is finally up. today was the first real nice day... in the high 40's.  thank god I live in Idaho! but, I will admit that this year has been a heavy winter. first time I remember the ice sticking around so long! Its time for spring! We are praying for all of you guys on the east coast. now, it time to dig out and get ready for spring.... good luck with all the recovery....
John

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 10, 2013, 11:07:50 PM
NO MORE SNOW!!!! the weather here is finally up. today was the first real nice day... in the high 40's.  thank god I live in Idaho! but, I will admit that this year has been a heavy winter. first time I remember the ice sticking around so long! Its time for spring! We are praying for all of you guys on the east coast. now, it time to dig out and get ready for spring.... good luck with all the recovery....
Lucky you, John! :)

Actually the storm is finally over here - the winds have dropped to next to nothing - the plow made its first pass this afternoon between 4 and 5, and I was just wakened by the sound of the plow trying to knock back the drifts on the road.. He worked away at it for about 20 minutes, right where the two cars were stuck earlier.

Due to heart problems, I can't shovel, but Linda "found" our car earlier in the evening and shoveled around it, and our neighbour's huge blower should be here in the morning finally releasing us from our wintery bonds!

I am sure there will still be a lot of shoveling to do after, but at least we will be able to go to the store or whatever.

They are calling for a rain storm and plus 6 c. for us on Tuesday, so the more we get cleaned up now, the better.

Update: Mon, Feb 13 - We are finally out! Our next door neighbour just cleared our drive! took them quite a while with their huge 4 wheel drive tractor and blower. Thank goodness! We were going stir crazy!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Ok, Time for (Hopefully) Winter's Last Kick!

From Environment Canada:

Quote"Blizzard warning in effect for:

• Queens County P.E.I.
Heavy snow and widespread blowing snow developing today.

This is a warning that blizzard conditions with near-zero visibilities are expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.
A low pressure system developing off the U.S. seaboard is forecast to intensify rapidly as it tracks toward the Maritimes today. The storm is expected to track east of Cape Breton Island tonight before moving on to Newfoundland on Thursday.

Snow is forecast to begin late this morning and then taper to flurries overnight tonight. The snow will change to rain over Kings County this evening then change back to snow overnight. Northeast winds will steadily increase during the day and will gust up to 110 km/h by this evening. These very strong winds combined with heavy snow will cause widespread whiteout conditions in blowing snow. In general 30 to 50 centimetres of snow is expected across the island however given the extensive blowing and drifting snow there could be significant variability in snow amounts received within any forecast region.

Additionally higher than normal water levels are expected later tonight mainly on the north shore. This may combine with increasing wave activity to give local flooding along parts of the shore. If forecast conditions worsen a storm surge warning may be required."
I mention this in case no-one hears from me for a while - hopefully someone will send out a search party! Hopefully, we will be shovelled out by July! In the months of December, January, and February, snowfall totals here were just under 10 feet! This ought to bring the winter's snowfall to 20 feet or so  :)

Time to break out the flashlights and run off water!

(By the way, this is a great little device to have  we have had this one for a couple of years now, and it has taken us through a number of power outages. It charges with either the crank, or if left in a window, will solar charge, and the radio will run all day without recharging - It also includes a flashlight, and has a mini-USB port for charging cell phones. I hope I DON"T have to use it again during this storm!)
Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

And yet it's sunny but slightly chilly here, it was frosty this morning though, but that is set to change as april comes, apparently...  ;D

DavePEI

Came Across this this morning. How appropriate!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

It is time that this snow disappears more quickly... and the spring was really soon to arrive >:(

AE_Collector

Good luck Dave! Maybe you need to look for a tunnel boring machine to replace your snow plow?

Don't over do any digging and shovelling.

Terry

twocvbloke

You know, the weather loves proving me wrong, it's just been snowing, albeit pathetically, here, with some light hail thrown in for good measure, so much for improving....  ::)

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 26, 2014, 11:13:46 AM
Good luck Dave! Maybe you need to look for a tunnel boring machine to replace your snow plow?

Don't over do any digging and shovelling.

Terry
Funny, that topic came up yesterday. Linda joked with Dr. Harrison that I had better rest up before clearing the storm today, and he said, "He had better not try, or he'll wind up back in Halifax if he makes it that far"!

Seriously, that is why we now have the next door neighbour blowing the driveway, but poor Linda then has to finish the job - she isn't in that good shape, either.

So here is a notice for this winter. Enough is enough!

Last year because of the heart condition, we sold the tractor and snowblower & front end loader. Used to love that thing! Hreat to have good neighbours!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Darn, they got it right. Can't see the neighbours in either direction now. Blizzard warning, bull. An Avalanche is rolling over our heads! The Island is shut down, government offices closed, schools closed, most businesses closed, and police are advising people not to go on the roads for any reason. Power flashing and winds a blowing!

Currently you can see about 30 feet. Enough already, Winter! See you in about a year when we get dug out! :(

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

You need to get Sir Alan Sugar in (how the owner of Amstrad got knighted I don't know, he should have been locked up in the tower indefinitely for his dodgy brand electronics!!) to tell winter that it's fired...  ;D