News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT-8629 Probe

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 29, 2012, 04:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I was given an item today which has the Bell System logo and "AT-8629".  DavePEI has a picture of one on his website: http://www.islandregister.com/phones/co.html.  Mine has a flat tip on it.  I have no interest in it and no idea of what it is worth.  Is anyone interested in this?  Can someone give me an idea of its value?

Thank You

Larry

sebbel

I think that is wire tracer. You'd use is to track active cable in a lager installation. I haven't use that one but I work as a systems administrator and we use similar ones to diagnose connection problem between phone/computer and the patch panels.

New ones go for about 70 - 300$ that one doesn't appear to be old enough to have any historical value. Id guess it would be worth about 50-75$

I might be way off....
Seb.

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 29, 2012, 04:15:38 PM
I was given an item today which has the Bell System logo and "AT-8629".  DavePEI has a picture of one on his website: http://www.islandregister.com/phones/co.html.  Mine has a flat tip on it.  I have no interest in it and no idea of what it is worth.  Is anyone interested in this?  Can someone give me an idea of its value?

Thank You

Larry

Hi Larry:
First of all for those who haven't see a description:

"AT-8629 Test Probe (left) - used in conjunction with the WE-145A to conduct pair identification using the tones generated by the set. Often called a banana. A butt set was clipped to the probe, and proximity to the wire fed with the tone would give an audible indication, allowing it to be easily identified. This tool is powered by an Eveready 206, NEDA 1611 - 9 volt tubular battery,

The probe comes with two interchangeable probe tips, and a leather scabbard designed for keeping the tool on one's belt "

It is yellow, and shaped like a banana. Hence its name. Two studs to connect your butt set are on one end.. It was an early receiver/amplifier for a toner, and you would clip it to your butt set to use.

Value? $15-25 at best, as today's toner receivers are much better, all in one unit, and include a speaker. But worth it just for a curiosity to a collector.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on February 29, 2012, 06:39:16 PM
AT-8629 Test Probe (left) - used in conjunction with the WE-145A to conduct pair identification using the tones generated by the set. Often called a banana. A butt set was clipped to the probe, and proximity to the wire fed with the tone would give an audible indication, allowing it to be easily identified. This tool is powered by an Eveready 206, NEDA 1611 - 9 volt tubular battery,

Value? $15-25 at best, as today's toner receivers are much better, all in one unit, and include a speaker. But worth it just for a curiosity to a collector.

Regular Member Post

This reply is nothing more than a factual update concerning this probe and posted with no animus toward any forum member and as such, a "have fun" type reply is not expected, desired or acceptable.

I found one of these probes in my deep storage and upon opening, found the tubular 9 VDC battery to be not only dead, but also a bit corroded. No real damage to the probe but when looking for a replacement battery, found they ranged from a high of $25 to $12 plus shipping. With the current market price of these being less than the cost of a battery, seems these probes are worth nothing more than a non-working curiosity in a collection.

If anyone wants it (it's grey and without battery) for their curiosity shelf, it's free for the cost of shipping (a few bucks). Send a PM if interested.