News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A bit of my collection

Started by mentalstampede, March 08, 2014, 10:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

This isn't much of a post, but here's a small display I have set up on the counter hooked to my 616 system.

Red WE500, dated 1970
WE 302 w/ mostly matching dates (anyone have a 149B dial plate dated IV39 they wanna sell?)
North Electric TP-6-A
Kellogg 1000 Redbar (can't tell in this picture, but someone did a lousy paintjob on it sometime in the past.  :-\)

And my brother's AE payphone in the background.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Mr. Bones

Great collection, Kenn!

Thanks for sharing with us. Am I to understand that your brother has contracted phonitis, as well?

Makes me wonder if it is contagious, or perhaps the two of you have a genetic predisposition? ;) There is, alas, still so much we don't know about this tragic disease! :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Very nice start to your collection, it is also very nice you have a little PBX you can 'play around' with your phones on.

Ben

mentalstampede

Quote from: Mr. Bones on March 08, 2014, 10:47:27 AM

Thanks for sharing with us. Am I to understand that your brother has contracted phonitis, as well?

Makes me wonder if it is contagious, or perhaps the two of you have a genetic predisposition? ;) There is, alas, still so much we don't know about this tragic disease! :D

Indeed he has. His purchase of that pay-phone is responsible for my relapse.  He's working on refinishing his D1 at the moment, and my main focus is my QSD3A payphone.

I've also got a decent WE354, a late-model AE80, a manually-compensated AE90, and an extremely chintzy Soviet TAH-70-1 desk phone.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

HMMM, brothers both inflicted with Phonitis, it may be a family trait. I suggest genetic testing on you and your brother to look for the mutated telephone gene. Do you have any other siblings?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mentalstampede

We've got a younger sister in her early twenties. But she's not interested in any phone that doesn't have a stylized letter "i" in front of it.

mentalstampede

Here's a shot of my communist Russian phone!  The build quality on this phone is extremely lightweight; rather unimpressive. It could use a new handset cord, but I've got mixed feelings about changing it to a western type. It does work, it just has quite a bit of static in the audio.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: mentalstampede on March 08, 2014, 03:54:15 PM
We've got a younger sister in her early twenties. But she's not interested in any phone that doesn't have a stylized letter "i" in front of it.
Great!

Fix her up an i302, then! Or the new, improved iAE40! I''d be willing to bet none of her friends have one! ;D

All joking aside, great headway can be made, oftentimes, with a pink Princess, with younger gyno-Americans.

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

Nice start but I think you need more phones!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mentalstampede

Time to update!

Here's the current state of my display:

My main display:
Northern Electric QSD-3A Semi-Postpay paystation(1968 dates)
North Electric 7H6 with North dial
North Electric TP-6-A
Western Electric 302 (late 1939 dates except for dial and plate, has #4 dial installed)
Kellogg 1000 "red-bar" (has a lousy paint job I haven't been brave enough to attack yet)
Western Electric D1 mount with #6T dial (wired to 685A subset)
Automatic Electric LPC-72-55 Prepay paystation

The Annex:
Red WE 500C/D (dated 1970)
Western Electric 410 (dated 1947 except for dial plate)
Lime Green SC500 (base dated June 1979)

Soviet TAH-70 (dated 1976) on top of an ugly 685A subset
Red Cortelco 554, set up for manual service (dated 1990)
Black AE90, manually compensated, 20~ ringer.

And finally, I have a WE354 on the wall in the kitchen.

Everything is wired into a Panasonic 616 except for the wall phones. The 354 is the only phone hooked up to a real live POTS line.

WesternElectricBen

mentalstampede

Well, I moved into a new home this summer, so my collection got stirred up a slight bit...

compubit

I see the most important piece of equipment: the Panasonic phone switch hanging on the side of the desk!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

mentalstampede

I really love taking pictures of my phones, so here's some more pictures.

Jim Stettler

I like your "booth". The phone has the "long" handset cord, which makes me think it is  a "Phone from Car". Southwest bell liked to use the engraved handsets on "Phone from Car" Payphones.

JMO,
Jim S.

BTW: An easy way to tell apart the standard and long handset cords on SS payphones.
The Long payphone cords are only a few inches longer than standard.
If you hang up the receiver and pinch the handset cord together @ the bottom of the phone, you will have a loop left (long cord).
If the cord won't pinch together @ the bottom of the phone, it is a standard cord.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.