News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernMan

Looks like a fine Northern to me.  Must be a Canadian movie .

Doug Rose

Its a Northern #2, the wall phone brother of the Uni #1....very cool....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

AET

Most of the movie was filmed in Canada, but the house and the department store were in Cleveland.  They probably purchased the prop up there.
- Tom

jsowers

You actually hear the dial in that scene, where Ralphie's mother calls his friend's mother to tell her the bad word her little boy said. Then we hear the lady's astonished reaction (WHAAAAT?) and then she wallops the boy over the phone and he screams and cries. I think that scene is just before or after the scene where Ralphie is enjoying the piquant flavor of Lifebuoy in his mouth. If you haven't seen that movie, TBS is running it again this Christmas for 24 hours.

The house in Cleveland that was used in the exterior shots is now a museum devoted to that movie. There are many loyal fans who know all the lines by heart.

And yes, those are two ivory AE40s in that scene with Audrey Totter sitting at her desk. I knew I remembered some color AEs in that movie. It's from 1946 and that was the prime time for those phones. Thanks, D/P, for posting that. The radio in that scene with the newspaper is a Philco. I have one like it.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

The big line from that movie (A Christmas Story) that I used to recite to my sons......."you'll shoot your eye out" as the reason they were discouraged from wanting a BB gun.  It didn't work (the threat).  Junior #2 is an avid hunter in his adult life.  So far he hasn't shot his eye out.

Those that live in climates like ours (and Cleveland) can relate to getting one's tongue stuck on a piece of metal--like the flag pole.  Great movie.

dsk

Norway has never been big in films, but 2 hits from the 50'ies:
"Fjolls til fjells" translated to "Fools in the mountains" is about a modern hotel for the richer ski tourists. (Humoristic) Here you may see 2 white Elektrisk Bureau 1953 telephones on the desk, and 2 telephones indicates "enormous luxury" ;D

The second picture is a little bit harder to identify, my guess is an American made Western Electric from about 1924.  The film from 1943 is a sketch made under German occupation, and is a story of haw they tried to give messages to the relatives on the contry-side about what they needed of food, underground.

dsk

Dave F

I was just wondering what software you folks use to get those screen captures from DVDs.  I don't think I currently have anything that will do it.  Thanks.

dsk

I use snagit 5.0 (freeware)
Just pause the film and snag the picture, and save as e.g. jpg  file.

You may find it here: http://tinyurl.com/3afulg8

dsk

Dave F

Quote from: d_s_k on December 22, 2010, 04:43:09 PM
I use snagit 5.0 (freeware)
Just pause the film and snag the picture, and save as e.g. jpg  file.

You may find it here: http://tinyurl.com/3afulg8

dsk
Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: NorthernMan on December 22, 2010, 07:45:30 AM
Looks like a fine Northern to me.  Must be a Canadian movie .

Yes it was a Canadian movie.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jester

I've been wanting to try my hand at screen captures, so imagine my delight when I discovered that the last movie I watched fit this category!!
I had seen this film, Bell, Book and Candle, some twenty years ago.  And while I was definitely a phone collector then, all of the phones showcased in this movie were "newer" than what I was actively collecting at that time, so I barely noticed them.  I was delighted to find, after buying the DVD version, that there are a few colored 500's in this film.  My provocation for putting it in this thread: most of the movie is not about Christmas, but the opening scenes occur on Christmas Eve.

1) The first is in scene two.  Jimmy Stewart comes into his apartment to discover Elsa Lanchester behind his desk.  Some banter ensues, after which Jimmy says;"If you'll excuse me, I have some telephoning to do".  This ticks off Ms. Lanchester, & she puts a spell on Mr. Stewart's phone.

2) In the next scene, we see Jimmy knock on Kim Novak's shop door downstairs & ask to use her telephone...his is out of order.  We discover she has a moss green 500 with gray cords.  This shot, with Mr. Stewart standing while holding the handset to his ear, shows the straight handset cord to full effect.

3) This next shot shows Jimmy entering his Manhatten office, & we see his secretary has both an early intercom set and a mahogany 500 on her desk.  
Stephen

Jester

Two more shots from B,B&C.

1) A shot in the Zodiac Club showing Jack Lemmon in the phone booth while Jimmy Stewart & Ernie Kovacs listen in.

2) This last shot shows Jimmy sitting at the desk in his ex- fiance's apartment(played by Janice Rule).  The phone in front of him is beige--I can't tell from the lighting if it's light or dark.  Edit: after watching this last scene again, I've decided this one is dark beige.
Stephen

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 20, 2010, 07:59:19 PM
Here's 3 from "Lady in The Lake".

D/P

Here's a few more.  Got a new computer, the Windows 7 Snipping Tool works great!  In order of appearance:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

One more, the pay phone.  That was a great movie, with an interesting camera angle.  I was in love with all the ladies, especially the leading lady (Audrey Totter) and her secretary, (Lila Leeds) very classy.  I didn't know that the murderess was Jane Meadows, Steve Allens wife.  According to IMDB, Lila Leeds was a pot-head:  Arrested with Robert Mitchum on August 31, 1948, for possession of marijuana.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e