News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Stephen, thanks for posting the Bell, Book and Candle phones. I've seen that movie many times and I had always thought Kim Novak's phone was dark gray, but I didn't have a factory DVD to tell the color for sure. The cords looked to be the same color as the phone, but it does look moss green in your shot. That movie is a little grainy and it's hard to tell, and dark gray can look green sometimes, and vice versa. I hadn't seen the brown phone on the secretary's desk, so thanks for pointing that out. I agree that the one in Merle Kittredge's apartment is dark beige.

That's a very kooky movie and Kim Novak is very beautiful and beguiling. It's the second movie Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak made together in 1958, the other one being Hitchcock's Vertigo, and the last movie Jimmy Stewart played the romantic male lead (he turned 50 while making the movie).

What I use for screen caps is Gadwin Print Screen. Someone on the group recommended it just after I started posting. Works just fine, but I have to turn off the Hardware Acceleration in my display.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on December 28, 2010, 03:46:35 AM
Here's a few more.  Got a new computer, the Windows 7 Snipping Tool works great!  In order of appearance:

I like the 3rd picture you posted of Lady in the Lake. "Should I use the colored 40 on my left or the colored 34 on my right?"

Terry

baldopeacock

Quote from: Jester on December 23, 2010, 12:05:41 AM

2) This last shot shows Jimmy sitting at the desk in his ex- fiance's apartment(played by Janice Rule).  The phone in front of him is beige--I can't tell from the lighting if it's light or dark.  Edit: after watching this last scene again, I've decided this one is dark beige.

Sure looks like a beige 5302.

Dennis Markham

It does look an awful lot like a 5302 but the mounting cord appears to be coming out of the back at the corner, like a 500.  The 5302's had the "mouse hole" in the center of the back side of the phone.  Unless this is an optical illusion.  But that same illusion may be making it look like the short back side.

Wallphone

Don't forget, if the movie wasn't originally in color, the phones could be any color that Ted Turner wanted them to be.

HarrySmith

At least one of my 5302's has the mousehole on the side like a 500, as does this 5304. I do not have pictures of my others but I will check on them tonight.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Harry, I don't know about all of them, but that 5304 you're showing here sure looks like the mounting cord is coming out of the center of the housing, not the corner.

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on December 28, 2010, 11:33:50 AM
Here's a few more.  Got a new computer, the Windows 7 Snipping Tool works great!  In order of appearance:

I like the 3rd picture you posted of Lady in the Lake. "Should I use the colored 40 on the left or the colored 34 on the right?"

Terry

She never uses either one in the office scenes, she only answered the intercom.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Brinybay on December 28, 2010, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: ae_collector on December 28, 2010, 11:33:50 AM
Here's a few more.  Got a new computer, the Windows 7 Snipping Tool works great!  In order of appearance:

I like the 3rd picture you posted of Lady in the Lake. "Should I use the colored 40 on the left or the colored 34 on the right?"

Terry

She never uses either one in the office scenes, she only answered the intercom.

What's that coming out the center of the back of the 34?  Is that where the cord comes out on those?
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on December 28, 2010, 05:39:28 PM
What's that coming out the center of the back of the 34?  Is that where the cord comes out on those?

Yes, the AE 34 had one hole in the back that the mounting cord AND the handset cord exited through. With the redesign of the 34 into the 40 they put a seperate hole in each corner, one for handset cord and the other for the mounting cord.

The other "single" item on a 34 that became double on the 40 is the plunger buttons.

Terry

Just4Phones

Is anyone watching the Twilight Zone marathon?  I'm hoping for the episode with the guy using the Ericofon to come up soon  8)

gpo706

Shame its not on here, but watched an Miss Marple special here Christmas eve, set in WW2 in which Marple's house phone was an ivory Ericofon.

I nearly dropped my drink...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

jsowers

There's a very odd movie called The World of Henry Orient (1964) with Peter Sellers playing the title character. It's about two teenage girls stalking this man, who later turns out to be the lover of one of the girls' mothers (Angela Lansbury). Henry Orient has an Ericophon next to his bed. It's used several times when the girls make prank calls to him and in one scene he makes more than one call, so he presses the center of the dial to hang up between calls.

This month is Peter Sellers month on TCM, but the movie's not currently scheduled.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

I've been watching up until last night, but it seems to be over now.  I like the one where the widow whose husband died in a car accident calls her on her phone over and over again.  A storm caused the phone wires to drop across his grave.  My memory is that she had a 202, errr, a D mount  :) next to her bed.
-Bill G

Dan

http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight_zone/video/?pid=MP7q4ti_BlC3QJE109H7pI_n87bhwiWN&vs=Default&play=true

Here is the twilight zone. Check for the ericophon with the "futuristic" ring @ 18:00.

Here is the other one Phonesrfun is referring to.

Night call. It looks like a 202 with an e-handset with a 500 sounding ring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv1zRTBMUJw&feature=related

I Have all the zones on DVD and am a diehard fan
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright