News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dennis

Thanks Terry. Very glad to be here! I know one of the members here from an antique radio forum. I'm fascinated by old technology, some of which was contemporary state-of-the-art when I was growing up, particularly some of the phones that are now collectible. Thanks for the welcome!

Mike

AE_Collector

I just searched out all (okay, a lot of them at least) of the stray TV and radio discussions on this forum and put them all here for easy reference.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=44.0

Terry

Michael Dennis

Greg G.

Mad Men season 5, the appearance of a 10-button TT in the Draper residence.  From the time line clue of the Richard Speck murders, it's July of 66.  Don is looking at the phone, wondering if it may become a collector's item some day.  In the SCDP offices, there are still plenty of multi-line rotaries (Peggy has two).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Does anyone recognize the phone in this photo sent by a web site visitor?  It's a screen shot from "Cabin in the Woods" (2011)

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Yes. Not a phone. A Ringmaster intercom. At least that is what we called them here. We installed them as rental intercoms. They were called GustavaRing on the unit themselves and they had a main control box to run them. There were 10 and 20 station models. The one pictured has the handset option which was rare here.

Terry

paul-f

Thanks Terry.

The film was shot in Vancouver, so it makes sense.

There doesn't seem to be info on the internet.  Ring Communications in NY comes up, but doesn't show a similar product.  Are they from a local supplier?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

I don't know where we got them from. I assumed that they were made in Europe somewhere. I kept one or two stations but no control units after originally having 3 or 4 controls and at least 20 stations. Screwed up again ....

I recall that movie now that you mention it. I didn't notice the intercom though. Maybe that station used to be one of mine!

Terry

Sargeguy

DId anyone catch the old Western Electric 500 featured prominently in this weeks episode of The Walking Dead?

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

I saw this on TV so I looked it up on Youtube and got a capture.  The wall phone in the kitchen looks like an intercom, but I'm not sure if it's patterned after something real, like the D1s they're using.  I do like that ivory receiver.  Plenty of boring ol' D1s with E1 handsets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-qo90NWv2s
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

Music video for a change:

The Lovely Eggs -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mYyYqhxxHYY

Quite a selection, the first one is a real surprise, here's a wee contest for anyone who wants to list them all?

(Forwarded to me by my long-suffering brother).
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Not listing repeat appearances, I see:

1 - NE/GEC Contempra
2 - GPO 766 Trimphone
3 - GPO 704/TMC 1705
4 - GPO 710 w/No. 12 dial
5 - one sat on the bar - too modern for me, pass
6 - green thing at the hairdressers - Dawn perhaps?  ???
7 - Yellow (faded ivory?) & black GPO 711
8 - British Telecom Sceptre
9 - Hoover Ranger, oh, wait, that's a vacuum...  :D

;D

George Knighton

Quote from: baldopeacock on December 19, 2010, 11:58:15 PM
Watching "Miracle on 34th Street" tonight,  I counted several D-mounts with both E and F handsets as well as two or three 302s.

Since it's the holiday season and all the classic old movies are back around, might be fun to report classic phone spottings in those old films.

Office scenes in "Miracle" showed multiple D-mounts on a single desk - I guess Macy's didn't pop for multi-line phones.

It's that Time of Year again, when they're showing the original Miracle on 34th St.  :-)

I liked seeing all the shots of 302's and what I suppose were 202's.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

In Miracle on 34th Street, Mr. Macy has two 202s on his desk: one with an E-1 handset and one with an F-1. Could have been two lines. In the old films there are often two phones rather than one multi-line set or one set that could be switched between lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Of course you can only really talk to one person at a time and way back then the companies switchboard operator was the one who did all the switching for you. She might even dial your outside calls for you or at minimum she would put through your Long Distance calls and then calling you back when the other party was on the line.

Having multiline phones on your desk is sort of the more modern "Do it Yourself" equivilent of the switchboard operator.

That's how I see it at least.

Terry