News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Bill, maybe that just means that you're not as obsessed as some of us...I speak for myself... ;D

HobieSport

SUPERMAN:  "Yes, operator, I can't seem to figure out this new-fangled phone card...
I guess I'm just slower than a speeding bullet today..."

McHeath

HobieSport

"Hello Operator?  Yes.  I'm all shook up.  Can you send me a wiring diagram for a WE302 please?
Thank you very much."

HobieSport

"Hello Agent 99.  I need you here.
Oops. Wrong Number.
Sorry about that Chief."

HobieSport

"Mr Gorbachev;
just between you and me
I need you to tear down that wall."

HobieSport

"Yes Ladybird. I won't show my scar anymore.
No Ladybird, the war is not going well.
Yes Ladybird I will bring home some puppy chow for the new beagles."

McHeath

Those last two pics show a serious phone upgrade occurred between LBJ and Reagan.  Well, sorta serious, went from a G3 to a G15 handset, so it's not Earthshaking but still, might be handy to know in a crisis.   ;)

HobieSport

"Yes Mr Churchill, I will loan you some  tanks.  No Mr Stalin you can't have Europe.

Good eyes McHeath!  I don't know how you do it.  I really wouldn't know a G3 from a G15 handset even in a serious crisis.

bingster

Speaking of Roosevelt, here's his D1/F1 on the day he signed congress' declaration of war on Japan.
= DARRIN =

bingster

Here's an interesting photo of bandleader Paul Whiteman from December, 1938.  He's working on a score in bed, while Mrs. Whiteman talks on the phone.  The interesting thing (other than that fact that Whiteman apparently worked on his music in bed) is the phone:  It's a hanging handset, but with an E1 handset mated to a G-mount.  The E1 doesn't fit the contours of the G's handset hanger nearly as well as the F1 that's normally found with this mount.  The E1 is designed to fit the C-mount's hanger, instead.
= DARRIN =

Bill

The photo of Roosevelt signing the declaration of war is a real hoot - mostly the guys behind and beside him.

The guy on the far left looks like he's cracking peanuts in his hand, and has one stuck in his teeth.
The second guy is afraid that the Senate cafeteria will sell out of the roast beef special if he doesn't hurry.
The third guy is surreptitiously scratching his nether regions.
The fourth guy doesn't get the joke he just heard. So the fifth guy is telling him again "Like I said, a priest and a rabbi go into a bar ...".

And standing just out of the photo on the right is someone who is actually timing Roosevelt's signature. Sure, "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" has a lot of letters, but really, can't you just let him sign at his own pace?

Somehow I thought that the signing of a declaration of war would be a more serious occasion.

And by the way, why does the Big Guy have a stainless steel dog dish on his desk?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Bill

bingster

Quote from: Bill on December 11, 2008, 12:18:26 PMSo the fifth guy is telling him again "Like I said, a priest and a rabbi go into a bar ...".

And standing just out of the photo on the right is someone who is actually timing Roosevelt's signature. Sure, "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" has a lot of letters, but really, can't you just let him sign at his own pace?

Somehow I thought that the signing of a declaration of war would be a more serious occasion.

And by the way, why does the Big Guy have a stainless steel dog dish on his desk?

Yes! I thought the exact same thing when I saw this photo.  I found another taken at roughly the same moment, and in it, Peanuts is grinning, too.  I thought that was incredibly odd given the circumstance.

I think the dog dish is the bottom of a shell casing.  Roosevelt was a big smoker, so I'm guessing it's an ashtray for when he runs out of room in the tiny ashtray by his left hand.
= DARRIN =

Perry

FDR's desk is on display at his Presidential library, and it still has that brass thing on it, as well as the phone:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/517159286/sizes/l/
It looks too clean in all the photos (new and old ones) to have been used as an ashtray.

Here is another photo of his desk from the Life archives. Note the phone doesn't have a dial. I suppose a President wouldn't need one.

bingster

I find it fascinating that a man as serious and erudite as FDR had so many toys and trinkets on his desk. 
= DARRIN =