News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

1955 stuff from BTTF, the Doc's number in the directory, and I can't help but notice the numbers ending with letters, I'm guessing they're country codes? :D

And the payphone, there is a Bell System sign, but the handset appears to be an AE G-type handset (the transmitter cap gives it away), which I guess wouldn't be right being a Bell payphone... ???

And I just thought I'd add the bit where he tears the page out of the phonebook, probably very frowned upon in the day.... :D

twocvbloke

One more, Chuck's cousin, Marvin Berry, on a 302 while Marty & the band plays "Johnny B. Goode"... ;D

cello973

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 23, 2013, 06:45:04 AM
More Star Trek pictures, first one is aboard the USS Enterprise (well, they used the USS Ranger for the film, but dressed it up as the Enterprise), an AE type handset from what I can tell, don't get to see the actual phone though... :)

And the 2nd, not technically a phone picture, but, Pacific Bell must have loved the advertising for that shot of Sulu, Scotty and McCoy staring at the yellow pages ad on the wall... :D

And to the left of Sulu is a SAC box.... (The big green cabinet)
Vince

AE_Collector

Quote from: cello973 on March 18, 2013, 08:09:18 PM
And to the left of Sulu is a SAC box.... (The big green cabinet)

Hey, I am not the only one on earth who calls these SAC boxes!? And for extra credit.....who knows what SAC is an acronym for? I assumed that SAC was a GTE term?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 18, 2013, 11:49:52 PMAnd for extra credit.....who knows what SAC is an acronym for?

I would guess at "Street Access Cabinet", cos it's on a street to give access to the cabinet... :D

AE_Collector

Good logical attempt twocv but keep the guesses coming as yours is incorrect! (Que error buzzer sound here)

Terry

Russ Kirk

Service Area Crossconnect, or Service Area Cabinet,  I also remember the term SAI used, Service Area Interface.  A lot of techs called them B-Boxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serving_area_interface

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

cello973

Actually it stands for Serving (aka Service) Area Concept (SAC) a system devised by the Bell System as a standard for dividing Wire Centers. The SAC box is equivalent to an IDF in a building where there is a high cap cable that you cross connect from to various other feeders to neighborhoods then to the RAT and ultimately to the drop at the subscribers prem.. I hope this isn't too off topic if so sorry...
Vince

AE_Collector

I was going toad Service Area Concept to Russ's list but then noticed that Cello973 chimed in with that one. That is what I have always known SAC to stand for.

Terry

gpo706

Not strictly in the movies back when the pic was taken, but certainly is now.

No takers eh - its Brad Pitt!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Walking Dead finale, what"s Merle doing with the Old 500 set?    Okay he's using the cords to tie up Michonne.  Notice that Rick was going to use CAT-3 before he chickened out.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Mr. Bones

While watching a new episode of "Bomb Girls tonight, I saw something new (to me).

While I have seen many scissor-mounts for CS phones, I have never seen one like the one on this show: it held what appeared to be, from a distance, under low light (blackout!), a 302/AE40 desk set.

;)My guess would be an NE 302?, being as the show is set in Canada...

Sorry I have no vid to screen capture capability.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HowardPgh

That type of scissor mount has a tray on it to set the phone on, rather than the usual clamp tp hold the shaft of a candlestick phone.
Howard

Mr. Bones

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 11, 2013, 09:36:04 AM
That type of scissor mount has a tray on it to set the phone on, rather than the usual clamp tp hold the shaft of a candlestick phone.

Yes, that's the very type I saw.

I'll have to hunt around, see if I can find any pictures, etc., of one.

I can't help but wonder if the desk sets weren't fastened down to the tray, to prevent them from being accidentally pulled off.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus