News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceP

Haven't read this whole thread though yet.
But here is one of my favorite movie clips of all times, and my only youtube upload:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz28Fk4h2G0

"Did you know that the germs can come through the wires?"

Adam

Funny.  In the Daffy Duck picture above, it looks like the pay phone, otherwise very accurately portrayed, does not have a switch hook.

However, when horizontally flipped, the pic makes more sense. What's weird is that the original pic is not flipped, I just confirmed that from the cartoon's original video.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: BruceP on April 25, 2013, 11:46:03 AM
"Did you know that the germs can come through the wires?"
Of course - they are called Internet Viruses :) The lady is a bit disturbed, isn't she? They're coming to take her away, Ha, Ha!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: Adam on April 25, 2013, 12:09:40 PM
Funny.  In the Daffy Duck picture above, it looks like the pay phone, otherwise very accurately portrayed, does not have a switch hook.

However, when horizontally flipped, the pic makes more sense. What's weird is that the original pic is not flipped, I just confirmed that from the cartoon's original video.

I guess they had the switch hook on the other side (7:24).  Was there such a thing as a non-dial payphone like that?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

Quote from: Brinybay on April 25, 2013, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: Adam on April 25, 2013, 12:09:40 PM

I guess they had the switch hook on the other side (7:24).  Was there such a thing as a non-dial payphone like that?

Yes. The 1912 50-A did not even have a hole for a dial. Later models could be equipped with a dial or not, up to and including single slots.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

old_stuff_hound

Slightly different, this was on TV news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzNcnqJ6qgQ
100-yar-old time capsule opened in Oklahoma.

rdelius

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on April 25, 2013, 04:03:16 PM
Yes. The 1912 50-A did not even have a hole for a dial. Later models could be equipped with a dial or not, up to and including single slots.

Which presumably led to the introduction of the instruction card used to cover up unused dial and/or transmitter mounting holes.

Terry

Telephonemans Daughter

Quote from: rdelius on April 25, 2013, 07:00:24 PM
Nice Kellogg
I saw that and wonder who is the lucky person to get that phone?  It will probably be donated to some museum or something where it won't be used.  HOOK THAT BABY UP!

And for the subject of this thread ... Since I began collecting phones and giving them as gifts to family members, I notice phones in movies all the time.  My daughter laughs at me.  The worse came just a few weeks ago when I went to the local high school musical of 'Annie' with her.  I found myself checking out the phone they used onstage for Daddy Warbucks.  I noted that they used a black Crosley 302 reproduction (and like someone else stated above, the ring didn't match the model).  So I pointed this out to my daughter that they didn't make those till 1937 and this musical takes place in 1933 and how they should have found a 202 instead.  My daughter just looked at me thoughtfully, then remarked that my father lives on in me and how he'd be proud that I knew that.  That comment made me stop and think .... he does live on in me, and if he'd had been there with us, he'd have made the same comment, too.  LOL
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

DavePEI

Quote from: Telephonemans Daughter on April 27, 2013, 10:57:14 AM
My daughter just looked at me thoughtfully, then remarked that my father lives on in me and how he'd be proud that I knew that.  That comment made me stop and think .... he does live on in me, and if he'd had been there with us, he'd have made the same comment, too.  LOL

That's quite a compliment!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

New England Tel.

After seeing some photos of the Rauland Amplicall on this forum, I said to myself, "Wow! That looks awfully familiar!" And I immediately knew where I knew it from...

A modified version of this was used in the Star Trek 1st Pilot episode, The Cage. See if you agree...

-Bob Archambault

twocvbloke

I just had a look about on the forum, and yes, that does indeed look like an Amplicall (not heard of that before today though!!), I'll have to watch The Cage again, just to be sure... :D

Link to an Amplicall thread:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=548.0

Greg G.

A pretty little line up of three British phones in Foyle's War (episode "Eagle Day").
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on September 28, 2013, 01:15:06 AM
A pretty little line up of three British phones in Foyle's War (episode "Eagle Day").

Interesting! I seem to remember those from a more recent episode of Dr. Who, with David Tenant Matt Smith, where he was working with Churchill to defeat Daleks. There was that line up of phones on one end of the large war room table and several black phones on the other end.

I'll see if I can find it this weekend.

Found it: "Victory of the Daleks" Series 5, Episode 3

A lot more phones that I first remembered. Unfortunately, the camera shot for a scene many times does not catch the front of the phone, in any part of the episode. This episode also included old operator headsets. Here are a few screen captures.