News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Not a phone but I watched "The Little Princess" with Shirley Temple this morning. In the credits I saw the Western Electric name in the Hawthorne font and had to go back to see it. It was for the sound system called "Mirrophonic Recording". A monophonic sound system by WE for early movies. Interesting trivia ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

david@london

i was watching 'a shot in the dark' yesterday........the 2nd pink panther movie from 1964.
this white U43 is in the opening frames, after the credits...............

dreyfus is saying something like - "hullo darling, yes i've got the cheese and the beaujolais, i'll be right over........kiss the children for me."
the secretary then buzzes through on the intercom and says "your wife is on the other line..."

BDM

Here are a few stills from the 1967 movie "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre"

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

From the Godfather II. How many of you have a solid gold AE40? I bet not even Doug Rose ;D 8)

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Rosemary's Baby 1968. I see what looks to be a chrome W.E. 3 slot. I've heard of this but never really believed they existed. The pic doesn't show it well and it's better seen in the movie.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

TelePlay

Quote from: BDM on March 15, 2014, 07:18:04 PM
The pic doesn't show it well . . .

The reflection of her hand, her fingers, on the phone below and to the right of the "0" is mirror clear which would only be possible with a chrome finish. Shows quite well, IMHO. And that looks like a coiled handset cord as well.

BDM

That is because I changed the pic I was going to use, but forgot to re-word my post, silly me. Yes it does show well and yes when watching the flick, it is a coiled cord.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Greg G.

Silly me also, I clicked on the little white arrow to play the clip!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Early episode of My Favorite Martian. What appears to be a 5302 next to Bill Bixby's bed.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

twocvbloke

Spotted a couple more phones in Star Trek IV, in the antiques store where Kirk and Spock visit to sell Kirks damaged reading glasses, the phones are behind the counter on the bottom shelf, they appear to mostly be AE phones... ;D

Scotophor

Sorry, no pictures here (maybe someone can help out): I just saw an episode of McCloud entitled "The Return of Butch Cassidy". In a small hotel, there was a cordboard behind the counter. McCloud wanted to use the house phone to make a call, so the manager handed the phone (nothing special there, probably a black 500-style) across the counter, then actually reached back and plugged in an outside line. In other scenes, two women in different locations used dark gray 500-style phones (probably a re-use of the same prop).
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Greg G.

I saw part of this movie on Canadian television on a recent trip to Vancouver Island and liked it so I bought a copy of it on DVD from Amazon.  "The Racket" was an academy award winner in 1928. More sticks in the movie than you can ... well, shake a stick at!  The stick on the "old man's" (Godfather?) desk had an interesting gizmo attached.  I think it's an accessory designed to make calls more private.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The next shot after the "Godfather" talks into the stick phone gizmo is him reaching down to what I think is a Dictograph and pushes one of the toggle switches down.  Also a closer view of Capt. McQuigg's stick.
- Mike Row
e

Scotophor

That Dictograph-like device is interesting. Would it record on wax cylinders, or wire?
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6