"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: BDM on April 05, 2015, 03:11:30 PM
Plus you'd think someone in the prop department would've taken a rag and dusted her off just a little  ;)

Having done a few years in live theater, I learned a long time ago not to lend anything I own to a theater for use on stage. They take a perfectly good, clean like new item and make it look old, less shiny, dirty, different color (yes, they painted a moss green an off white to match the set colors. Shiny stuff is sprayed with hair spray to cut the glare/reflection. New stuff is given the dirt treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a new TO they wrecked to get the correct shot in the scene.

BDM

I understand what they were getting at. 'Bud the son was supposedly working on an old SW set he obtained and they made it look the part, like an old curb side toss-out (and a good job at that). That show aired in Jan of 57, the H500 had a run from around 51-53. So by the standards of the day that set really wasn't that old and was quite expensive at the time, even used. As plentiful as the H500 is today, lets imaging twice as many were still around then (maybe a stretch, but you get the idea). The 600 series that replaced it until 62 with few exceptions was the same set with some cosmetic and operational changes made. Now what really has my interest is that supposed early type 302. I want it 8)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

19and41

I would imagine the gaffer's tape on the unit to make it look suitably in need of repair.  The TO also makes appearances in Dead Reckoning and Born Yesterday.  (Not this one, though.)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: BDM on April 05, 2015, 03:37:24 PM
Now what really has my interest is that supposed early type 302. I want it 8)

That may have been a non-working prop phone. They needed a phone, had a 302 base which someone cut off the receiver to another use like just a receiver coming out of a hole in the wall, had and E1 from a busted 200 set and put the two together to get what looks like a phone. Smoke and mirrors in front on the camera.

As for the TO, I recently picked up a very nice one and was doing some research on it for several reasons. I came across this history of portable short wave and the creation of Zenith. Quite interesting. They sold about 90,000 "G" sets and about 245,000 "H" sets, going for about $100 each back then, IIRC.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/zenith_trans_oceanics.html

NorthernElectric

This topic is 39 pages long, so I didn't go through it all to see if these had been posted.  If so, my apologies.

A few of Bogey and Bacall in The big Sleep, Bogey again as Sam Spade in the Maltese Falcon, plus a couple of Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed in It's a Wonderful Life.

Cliff

NorthernElectric

Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

It's amazing how many phones had E1 handsets in old movies, but you can't find many E1s today. I wonder what WE did with them all after the F1 was introduced? Did they sell them to Independents? Did they trash them? (not a likely option; disposal was not in WE's character)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Greg G.

Quote from: Waterland on January 12, 2015, 11:17:29 AM
What kind of phone is this?  It's the from the 1976 Dario Argento horror classic "Profondo Rosso" (known as "Deep Red" in English speaking markets).  Sorry I couldn't get any better shots of it, it's only on screen for a brief time.  I'd like to find one of these for my collection, I think it's a very attractive phone.

Looks like a prop.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

The English Gangster drama "Peaky Blinders" has several sticks, including one on a scissor-arm
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

andre_janew

My friend, Eddie, and I played telephone with a pair of old shoes and some string.  It didn't work out as well as the tin cans and string.

LM Ericsson

I was watching this French short film for my French course called "Samb et le commissaire" and it takes place in Switzerland and I spotted this telephone. It is blurry but the telephone is definitely Swiss.
Regards,
-Grayson

19and41

On Monday, 20 April at 8pm EST, Turner Classic Movies will show the film "Kiss Me Deadly".  A Mike Hammer mystery from 1955 that among other things shows a telephone answering system using a built-in open reel tape deck.  Mike had some really cool stuff back then.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I think I remember seeing one of those featured in another thread on this forum a while back.

NorthernElectric

Just thought of this one.   ;D

Cliff

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke