"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 08, 2015, 11:17:04 PM
I just watched the original version of The Taking of Pelham 123 tonight.  Here's a screen grab of a candlestick on a scissor mount from the film.

Ahh, great movie! I remember seeing that stick, thinking how long it had been in service there by the time the movie was shot!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm currently watching Season 4 Episode 1 of Columbo; "An Exercise in Fatality". The episode deals a lot in multiline phone systems, such as a recording machine hooked up to a Green WE Call Director, and an Ivory WE 2565 that Columbo gets suspicious about when the later-convicted murderer answers it without pressing any line buttons, none of which were lit up. I'd get screenshots, but my Kindle doesn't take them with Netflix running.
Thanks to Teleplay for adding screenshots from the episode!

It seems a lot of Columbo episodes have Ivory Western Electric phones, mainly 12 buttons, all hardwired (early '70s show taking place in California mansions, what else would there be? ;) ). Funny how you never see hardwired Ivory 2500s these days, but Ivory 500s of the same era are everywhere!
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

That's the episode in which Robert Conrad guest stars.  He plays a fitness guru.  Columbo can also be seen on METV every Sunday evening.

Fabius

My wife and I visited the set of Murdoch Mysteries last Sunday for fan appreciation days. The first picture is of a Leich Electric being used on the show in Inspector Brackenreid's office . The second picture is of me at the Inspector's desk with the phone and then the third picture is a close up of the phone itself. Notice the phone is brassed out and the hole for the cords is in the front. Notice the ringer box on the wall.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who is is a big fan of the show, visited the set a few years ago and had a small role as a constable behind the front desk. The second picture shows the desk when we were there. Notice the Northern Electric 551? switchboard and the single box magneto phone. The single box looks to have a fancy custom made crank escutcheon .
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

I finally got some screenshots from Bell System's strange 'Once Upon a Honeymoon' video from 1956. I made a topic before about the beautiful, rare (and in some cases practically nonexistent) phones showcased in it. It was, after all, a video exclusively promoting the premium WE phones at the time; a WE 565 with complete, matching speakerphone set in Mediterranean Blue, two 500Us in Yellow and one in Red, a Red 554 in the kitchen, a Med Blue in the family room, plus a B1 (which I previously thought was a D1) with a #4 dial that served as the 'outdated' phone of the lot. The speakerphone with the blue 565 seems Brown, but it could be just because of the fairly early color film used.

Forget the horrible video, just gimme the phones! ;D

P.S, sorry the pictures are so blurry. I had to screenshot around the pause window in my Youtube player, plus deal with the blurry video quality to start with! :-\

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ZFOfvlPtjlE
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I watched it a second time around, and this time apparently missed a close up of the Med Blue multiline.
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Season 5 Episode 9 of "The Adventures of Superman" titled "The Phony Alibi" features a spacesaver with subset on the Professor's new invention.

"Professor Pepperwinkle has developed a way to transmit objects and people through telephone lines. A group of criminals are quick to see the advantage of such a device, and Superman has to stop them before the situation gets out of hand."

It's a lousy image but the phone is clearly seen in the middle of this cropped photo.

NorthernElectric

I watched The Bourne Legacy last night and spotted this cool interphone that female lead Rachel Weisz used to communicate with CIA operatives at the front gate to her property.  Anybody recognize it?

Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 22, 2015, 12:43:26 PM
I watched The Bourne Legacy last night and spotted this cool interphone that female lead Rachel Weisz used to communicate with CIA operatives at the front gate to her property.  Anybody recognize it?

European, probably Siemens&Halske, handset.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on August 22, 2015, 01:31:34 PM

Thanks.  I did a search for Siemens on eBay and came up with some similar ones here.
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 22, 2015, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on August 22, 2015, 01:31:34 PM

Thanks.  I did a search for Siemens on eBay and came up with some similar ones here.

Yep. You found them.

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on May 19, 2015, 11:14:24 AM
Quote from: McHeath on May 18, 2015, 11:40:56 PM
Wasn't there a phone in the Batcar as well?

Yes

Yes, yes . . .  and yes, that is the one and only Milwaukee's own Liberace in that episode! You have to be over 50 to know who that is, in most cases.

19and41

Seeing the linemans' handset just posted,  I remembered one that figured prominently in a television program from my youth...  I did a search for mention of it, but could not find any mention.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Green-Acres2.jpg
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Quote from: 19and41 on November 02, 2015, 02:13:45 PM
Seeing the linemans' handset just posted,  I remembered one that figured prominently in a television program from my youth...  I did a search for mention of it, but could not find any mention.

http://nukethefridge.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Green-Acres2.jpg

I remember watching that show as well.

https://youtu.be/WfDnW2KlflE