"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Quote from: Jim S. on January 31, 2016, 01:05:33 PM

I have also seen an american car insurance ad (State Farm?) that uses an ericcson dial desk phone used as a wall phone.

Yup, it's State Farm, and yes, I cringe every time I see it.

I keep an eye out when I watch, but only look for something totally out of place...

I'm enjoying Endeavour - only 2 episodes in, and haven't noticed much "out of place" (lights, satellite, etc.) - yet...  They seem do do a decent job with the cars, though the first episode had a lot more "wide shots" of vehicles in Cambridge - second episode so far is just a couple tighter shots just of the main cars...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

APS221

Quote from: compubit on January 31, 2016, 08:47:54 PM
Quote from: Jim S. on January 31, 2016, 01:05:33 PM
I have also seen an american car insurance ad (State Farm?) that uses an ericcson dial desk phone used as a wall phone.
Yup, it's State Farm, and yes, I cringe every time I see it.

"Six callers ahead of us, Jimmy!"

andre_janew

I've seen that ad and I've always thought the wall phone looked a bit odd.  Now I know it looks odd on the wall because it isn't supposed to be on the wall!

19and41

Do any of you folks remember that lady in her younger days on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In?  She was the girl who would tap dance in honor of her pres-e-dent, Richard Milhous Nixon.   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

JimH

I was channel surfing the other night and saw a scene from "Breakfast at Tiffany's", where Audrey Hepburn's character is in George Peppard's apartment, and he has what looks like a D1 or 202 that is all decked out in gold.  The only things is, that the handset does not look like a regular F1, possibly another make.

Here's a screenshot:
Jim H.

rdelius

Kellogg handset., Western base.Most of the old fancy metal covers I have seen were on kellogg sets

JimH

Thanks for identifying the handset as Kellogg.  I didn't realize it was probably a cover.  I just thought the prop department went overboard.

Jim
Jim H.

Jim Stettler

I was flipping thru channels and watched part of Highlander (movie). In the detectives office was a black 500 with operator  written in a straight line. It was shortly after the sword scene in the "Madison Square Garden" parking garage. The forensic gal was trying to see the file regarding the fight.
I never tried to see a screen shot to compare with an early dial. It looked a bit off, but that could be because it was straight.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

Maybe this would be classed as "Old Phone Companies In Movies And TV".  I remember these programs when I was little and the networks could still be relied upon to supply a few mental vitamins along with the other dramatic and violent fare.  I'd imagine these set a few kids on a scientific career path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBwZ6UT0mMI&list=PL_sjhEFSOGfBcUPywiy5l9jze20wxr7HQ
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

Quote from: 19and41 on April 12, 2016, 02:41:50 PM
Maybe this would be classed as "Old Phone Companies In Movies And TV".  I remember these programs when I was little and the networks could still be relied upon to supply a few mental vitamins along with the other dramatic and violent fare.  I'd imagine these set a few kids on a scientific career path.

Those films were also shown often in school. Most kids who went to school in the 1960s and 70s will recall the utter relief seeing the projector being rolled into the room, the blinds closed and the lights turned off for movie time. Normally it was a Bell and Howell projector, although once they used the old green manual thread RCA with the separate speaker and showed a National Geographic film in French class in high school. I'll never forget discovering those old films actually had BASS when they played that theme song with the tympani...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp-ICI-9gXs

Also this particular Bell System film stars Eddie Albert, who ten years later would play a man who could never quite get the phone company to take the phone off the pole and into the house.  :)  Green Acres is one of my favorite TV shows.
Jonathan

19and41

Yeah, kids growing up now see a projector as a hunk 'o junk, not the transporter as we regarded it .
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I think they still have projectors, but now they use DVDs instead of actual film!

WEBellSystemChristian

This came from Hotel Impossible on Travel Channel.

It appears to be a manual 554 with an early Black hook. It's in a hotel that John Dillinger once stayed at, and the hotel appears to be in mostly all original condition, including doors (without locks), beautiful brickwork all over inside, and a 1950s switchboard in the lobby!

Sorry for the bad picture. I took it with my smartphone directly from the TV screen! :-[
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I still think it's hilarious.
Robert Stack as Elliot Ness. If not obvious, He is holding a Candlestick phone. At that particular moment, He said Hello. Then he looks up, as if waiting for aCUT, but it doesn't happen and he jusyt finishes the scene.
Here is a link to the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufK6qWA906o

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

That is Nita Talbot he is speaking with in the clip opening.  She appeared in 2 episodes in 1960 and 62.  I guess covering both ears kept stack from being distracted.  :)
— Arthur C. Clarke