News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Laszlo

Eddie Albert held the WE 1011G type test set upside down on the Green Acres TV show.  The dial is behind the receiver, not the transmitter.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: 19and41 on April 20, 2016, 01:56:35 PM
That is Nita Talbot he is speaking with in the clip opening.  She appeared in 2 episodes in 1960 and 62.  I guess covering both ears kept stack from being distracted.  :)
He started by talking first.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

During a Telephone Company Strike/Lockout here in the late 1970's the newspaper interviewed the company President out taking care of business while we were on the picket line. They took his picture and put it in the paper supposedly talking on his test set but....you guessed it, upside down. Good of him to do his part to keep our morale up like that!

Terry

19and41

TCM had Grand Hotel on this week and I thought of this thread when the film opened.  Aren't those AE phones pictured as each star takes a turn on a phone?  MGM must've had a long running relationship with AE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-LyF_ja4o
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

Just ran across an "out of place" phone. On the German show ,,Großstadtrevier", based in Hamburg, just saw the police investigators entering a home and there hanging on the wall is a nice Black 2554 series phone.  Not what I would have expected in a German home...
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

Are you sure it isn't a Russian copy of a 2554?

compubit

I don't know. I wasn't aware of a Russian copy of the 2554. Regardless, it seems out of place in Hamburg. It's not a Siemens which would be more appropriate for Hamburg...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

I was just thinking of a time when they would copy stuff made in the United States, then claim they invented it first.  I don't know if they did that with telephones or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did!

Victor Laszlo

Maybe the homeowner is a classic phone collector.

WEBellSystemChristian

From The Rockford Files, Season 5, Episode 7. This is the first appearance of a 1500 in this show that I know about!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's another shot, this one of a 2500 on Becker's desk. Anyone know why there's a 2-piece faceplate on this one?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

That looks like gaffers tape on either side of the keypad.  I'd bet it would be to cut the amount of reflection from the faceplate.
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

It looks like some kind of black tape was put on the faceplate on either side to cut down glare. Maybe this was one of the shiny faceplates we covered in that thread a while back? I guess if they had painted it, the phone number would have been covered up. It was definitely a cheap and dirty job. Similar to what they do to cars to cut down the reflections.

I saw a 1965 Pontiac Tempest convertible on Gidget the other day that had black tape on the chrome on the door vent window and some of it was coming off. They opened the door and it probably caused a reflection, so someone came out with some "gaffer's tape" to the rescue. That's what they called it back when I had a year of Design and Production, right out of high school in the late 1970s. I see 19and41 called it the same thing.

And speaking of phones in TV, I was totally impressed this afternoon on Green Acres when Hooterville Telephone Company installed a candlestick in Oliver's law office and they actually used a subset on the wall. Since there was only the one phone, Lisa had to throw it across the room if it was for one of the lawyers.
Jonathan

19and41

Gaffer's tape= Duct tape of the lively arts.
— Arthur C. Clarke

tallguy58

I used to use Krylon Dulling Spray to reduce reflections.  It never dried so you could clean it right off.
Cheers........Bill