News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

I can't really tell from the photo, but it appears to be the Stromberg-Carlson metal handset mounting that Bell Canada used rather than the Western Electric B-1 -- but that would be late 20s. (Northern Electric did not manufacture B1s.) The handset appears to be a Stromberg-Carlson #20 which would be early 40s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

Telephone is not period correct.might be a 202/d1 set with a SC handset.The set 1930s or so.the handset 1940s

poplar1

I believe it is a Stromberg-Carlson 1177, not a NE or WE 202.
Here is a 1177 with the original handset:
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/1177.html

poplar1

The No. 1177 Hand Set Telephone (manual) and the No. 1178 ("for dial service, but less dial") are shown in the 1930 Catalog, but are not listed in the 1927 Catalog.

Greg G.

Either way, I was pretty sure they were jumping the gun with a handset phone of any kind in the early 1900s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on November 07, 2016, 12:01:13 AM
I believe it is a Stromberg-Carlson 1177, not a NE or WE 202.
Here is a 1177 with the original handset:
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/1177.html

I have one of those. They are a cute little set, Mine was in the biggest collection I ever bought ( 25+ years ago), I have never tried to sell it. I am not sure why I like it so well, it is a simple phone that makes me smile. It has rotated thru my display many times.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

From an episode of Frasier: Season 11, Episode 14.

If you really analyze the pictures, you can see many fairly rare phones. I see an early Garnet Red AE80, AE21 stick, several WE multilines in different colors, several 500s, a 5302, a Terryphone, and even some Call Directors!

They definitely raided the old prop bins for this episode! This was in 2004, so I would assume Hollywood was no longer using many of these as props, or at least not as much at this point.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

I think its fair to say that many of us have desk that look something like that....or wish they did.  ;D
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

No...that would be someone at my house trying to answer the phone while I'm working on a project... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Tonight on the television show Mysteries at the Museum they had a piece on Annie Oakley. It showed a man using a 302 with a broken ear. I recorded it with my camera off the TV. I tried to upload the video but it won't upload. I grabbed this shot with my camera off the video from my computer.

19and41

If they were implying that phone could've been used during Oakleys' lifetime, which ended in 1926, It would be in keeping with the quality of the props they use in that series generally.   :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

That is the oldest "real" phone I have seen from mysteries at the museum. Most of the phones they show are design-line type phones.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Here are some better screen shots of the phone.

poplar1