Is that a AE?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

[/quote]
Quote from: Pourme on January 28, 2017, 12:01:56 AM
F D Roosevelt on History Channel...

Is that a AE?

Appears to be a round base Western Electric 102/202 (B1 hand set mounting + E1 handset + dial)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

:) I'm not sure if I stretch this thread, but yesterday I had the pleasure of visiting Oslo Opera House, and see Carmen in a new way, Everything happened in the 70ies, and then you have to have a phone booth! :-*   https://publisher.qbrick.com/Embed.aspx?mid=5B33AFE6

This gave the story a chine of being much more real   ;)

dsk

19and41

I hope a museum would continue to be it's best use.  Many look at such preparations and see a society resigned to death.  I lived through those times, and they were efforts to try to save what life remained.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

I served in 82-83, cold war, so yes it has, or at least has had a value.
I'm probably not a prepper, no shelter no large food supply, but we will have no problems living relatively comfortable for a week or two with no power supply, have to carry water on my back from a lake 1 mile away. And of course I have telephones.

dsk

19and41

Just started watching The Invaders Season1, episode 2.  Roy Vincent went to a hotel in a border town to make a call.  The lobby had a candlestick paystation.  My eyes aren't sufficiently calibrated to identify it's particulars.  This series is good.  Haven't seen it since I was 11.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Been watching the X-Files from start to finish on NetFlix and Season 5 Episode 15 does a flash back to something Mulder's father was involved with in 1951 (great looking light blue 1951 Ford 4 door about 20 minutes into the show) in Caledonia, Wisconsin (just west of Racine which to the best of my knowledge, never had anything other than WE phones, IMBW) and while the show is replete with black AE 40s, this beauty popped up front and center ringing 26 minutes and 40 seconds into the show. Of course, it is never answered because the guy standing next to it is being eaten by one of those of many creatures in the series. Nice looking phone, even in shown if the typical darkened room.

KLondike 5-0133

AE_Collector

A potential reason for the abundance of AE phones is because the first 5 seasons were shot here in the Vancouver area. That is likely one of my late friend Grant Munro's phones.

Season 5 was the last season shot here, it moved to Los Angeles for season six. See if you notice any differences from season six onwards. I never really watched the show.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 24, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
A potential reason for the abundance of AE phones is because the first 5 seasons were shot here in Vancouver. That is likely one of my late friend Grant Munro's phones.

Season 5 was the last season shot here, it moved to Los Angeles for season six. See if you notice any differences from season six onwards. I never really watched the show.

Didn't know about the move but knew the first 5, at least, were done in British Columbia under Film Canada credits.

First episode of Season 6 took place at a nuclear power plant in Arizona the next takes place in Nevada. Both could have been in California but the settings are flat, desert and with distant mountains and dusty driving scenes unlike the wet, foggy wooded area of BC. Yes, the change is obvious and I was thinking those were probably Grant's phones. I also remember he gave a ton of phones to "Fringe" for one episode and that was shot in BC. The SyFy channel headquarters is based in BC even though they shot their highly successful 5 year 78 episode NetFlix series "Haven" in Nova Scotia to make it look like Maine on the ocean.

BTW. Lunenberg, Chester and Mahone Bay and other quaint areas of NS are quite beautiful, at least in the summer months. Lot of water, woods and historical architecture.

dsk

Not sure if this film should be here or???
http://tinyurl.com/km3t6he  is a film from the valley where  I live today, the fil is from the 50ies and it is plenty of open wire telephone lines. No sound. The lines are probably from the time where the local telco was more like a COOP than a company.

dsk

Fabius

Rosalind Russell, as seen on a Mexican movie lobby card at a "switchboard" in a 1958 film. Name of the film in Spanish is VIVIR ES MI DESEO which translates to LIVING IS MY DESIRE. Seller says it is her AUNTIE MAME film.

The switchboard looks like something the prop department put together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352025108284?ul_noapp=true
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

jsowers

Quote from: Fabius on April 08, 2017, 11:47:08 AM
Rosalind Russell, as seen on a Mexican movie lobby card at a "switchboard" in a 1958 film. Name of the film in Spanish is VIVIR ES MI DESEO which translates to LIVING IS MY DESIRE. Seller says it is her AUNTIE MAME film.

The switchboard looks like something the prop department put together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/352025108284?ul_noapp=true

Yes, that's from Auntie Mame (1958). It's set in the 1920s and 30s and Mame looks through the want ads and gets a job as a switchboard operator for (I love this name) Widdicombe, Gutterman, Applewhite, Bibberman and Black, Attorneys. She has to say that when she answers the phone and she gets tongue-tied. It's a pretty good and very short scene in the movie. Here's the clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXeZYtYabtI
Jonathan

Fabius

There's a character on the Andy Griffith show who didn't have a last name, and we have to assume she was a robot because she worked 24 hours a day. Her name was Sarah and she was the telephone operator on the show. Her last name was never revealed and she appeared to always be on duty. She was also never seen on camera, but her voice was distinctive enough to know it was her at all times.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on April 09, 2017, 10:31:40 PM
There's a character on the Andy Griffith show who didn't have a last name, and we have to assume she was a robot because she worked 24 hours a day. Her name was Sarah and she was the telephone operator on the show. Her last name was never revealed and she appeared to always be on duty. She was also never seen on camera, but her voice was distinctive enough to know it was her at all times.

It may be that here real name is Sara Frances Seeger Seegar Stone (b 1914; d 1990) who played three credited roles in the Andy Griffith Show. She is credited with playing Mrs. Katherine Palmer / Gossip on Telephone / Mrs. Buntley.

1) Ep. The Merchant of Mayberry (1962) ... Mrs. Katherine Palmer
2) Ep. Those Gossipin' Men (1961) ... Gossip on Telephone
3) Ep. Stranger in Town (1960) ... Mrs. Buntley

Was she Sara (Sarah) on the telephone? Don't know. Seems no one else does either. But, with the operator being Sara(h) and her real name being Sara, it could be. Anyone know Opie? They could ask him. Or, someone could capture the voice audio of the "Gossip on Telephone" and all other times we hear Sara on the phone as an operator and compare them . . .

He big role was that of Mr. Wilson's wife in 36 episodes of  "Dennis the Menace," that and along with a long list of appearances in other shows and movies starting in 1937.