News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Different show, same first name, nice photo of a small town operator's life back then . . .  played by Merie Earle.

https://youtu.be/WfDnW2KlflE

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on April 10, 2017, 01:19:08 PMAnyone know Opie? They could ask him.
Even if one of us did, would we want to ask him? I mean, he's accomplished now, but he doesn't look nearly as innocent or sanitary as he used to... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

jsowers

John, that picture is of both Mrs. Wilsons on Dennis the Menace. The lady on the right is Sylvia Field. And I know I'm being picky, but it's Sara Seegar, with an "a" near the end. Her last name sort of sounds like the way we pronounce cigar in the South. A cee-gar.  :)

Sara Seegar was also one of the River City ladies in The Music Man. One of my favorite movies. Ronny Howard was also in that movie.

And about the Hooterville Sarah, played by Merie Earle, I loved what she did when she had to leave the switchboard. She had a Victrola with a morning glory horn atop the switchboard and she'd play a recording saying she was home basting her rump roast or some such thing. Hank Kimball said at one time they sold copies of the record as Sarah's Greatest Hits. You gotta love the writing on that show.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on April 10, 2017, 10:48:15 PM
John, that picture is of both Mrs. Wilsons on Dennis the Menace. The lady on the right is Sylvia Field. And I know I'm being picky, but it's Sara Seegar, with an "a" near the end. Her last name sort of sounds like the way we pronounce cigar in the South. A cee-gar.  :)

Oooops! You got a sharp eye. I did get the file name right though, even double checked to make sure it was an "a" and not an "e" when creating the file and I did not know there were two different actresses who played Mrs. Wilson. So, the left photo is Sara Seegar who was the 3 time player and maybe background voice on The Andy Griffith Show, right?

Will edit my first post to get that correct. Must have been a typo, or a brain thing . . .  ???

Sara Seegar played Mrs. Wilson for only two seasons, 1962 and 1963. I don't remember what happened in the 60s as well as I could have had I not grown up in the 60s . . .  ;)

19and41

"Darrowby 85"  I've been going through another series that had at least 3 old phones per episode, All Creatures Great And Small.  I watched the early episodes on German TV when I was stationed there.  They are a pleasure to go through again.  They are up on YouTube.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Not sure where to post this, but at Norwegian TV today I got this film of train passing blank open/bare telephone wires on isolators and poles.
https://youtu.be/BwqIxGLocIE
Due to Copyright rules, I just took a short sequence.
This link will probably die soon: https://tv.nrk.no/serie/sommertoget-minutt-for-minutt
or here: https://tv.nrk.no/serie/sommertoget-minutt-for-minutt/ENRK60000217/28-06-2017 from time 36:50 (min:sec)
That is the series, filming a train crossing Norway from North to South during the summer.

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on June 28, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
I got this film of train passing blank telephone wires on isolators and poles.

dsk

Blank? (tømme?) Or do you mean black? (svart)
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Blank, ore bare metal. Norwegian and English isn't easy to mix :-)

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on June 28, 2017, 04:20:52 PM
Blank, ore bare metal. Norwegian and English isn't easy to mix :-)

dsk

To me "blank" means "nothing there". Example: The page was blank.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

...and bare would be uncovered/exposed (or in the case of phone lines, no insulation).

English.....Norwegian.....we all speak phone.  :)
TWinbrook7

dsk

Quote from: Fabius on June 28, 2017, 08:49:20 PM
To me "blank" means "nothing there". Example: The page was blank.
Yes, and in Norwegian blank as nothing on it will be used on wire too. eg unisolatad, unpainted etc.
Thank you, I learn this way.

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on June 29, 2017, 06:47:17 AM
  Yes, and in Norwegian blank as nothing on it will be used on wire too. eg unisolatad, unpainted etc.
Thank you, I learn this way.

dsk

Ahhh. Bare wire. In the telephone
world known as open wire.

Interesting video. Riding on a train from one end of Norway to the other has been added to my list of things to do.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

The Walking Dead, Season 7, Episode 2.

Lemme guess, you noticed the 500 before you noticed the tiger, right? ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AL_as_needed

Few things survive an apocalypse... Cock-roaches, Twinkies, the most wicked tendencies of men, Dietz little wizards, and of course 500s
TWinbrook7

Haf

John Wick 2

Looks like an AE40 to me, a hotelroom in Rome, Italy. The ringing sounds original to me.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474