"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: paul-f on April 02, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
While surfing channels recently, I happened to see a monkey using a card dialer. 

After the jaw drop and double take, I checked out the movie title: Monkey Shines (1988).

So, here's a different card dialer variation to add to our wish lists -- one modified to be operated by a monkey for the benefit of his disabled "friend."

The START button doesn't move the card, but the phone dials anyway. There's a red light on the lower right to indicate "in use" and end the call. The cards look strange -- don't need sprocket holes. The set ties into an audio system (no speakerphone components noted).

The entire movie is on YouTube.
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-2CzXEqb_I

Here's a sample...

In the fourth photo, the monkey chews through the dialer's mounting cord to disable the set.

In the last two, a 2554's modular handset cord tangled in a motorized wheelchair is strong enough to stall the chair! Don't try that with your desk phone.

So simple a Caveman could use it.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ayaeau

Hi,

I'm looking for moments in movies or TV shows which feature people dialing rotary phones, or talking about dialing their phones. If you know of any, please let me know. Thanks!

--Danny

jsowers

We have 54 pages of posts about that subject with lots and lots of pictures. Please use that thread to post about phones in TV and movies in the future. And welcome to the Forum!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=312.0
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Hello Danny,

Here is a video about dialing telephones.
When an exchange went from manual to dial, they would do public lectures on how to dial your  telephone.
This  is a dial demonstrator video from youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjlLb0tqGs

Jim S.
welcome to the forum
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: oldguy on November 27, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
Thanks Jim, that was fun to watch.
There were several types of dial demonstrators. Some deluxe models had a working switch and intercom, others were just a dial mock-up. I do have one of these, mine uses a 211 (spacesaver style) as the phone. Sorry no photos at this time, it would take over 2  hours to dig out the unit.
Mine needs some work but it has a switch and intercom.The big dial should connect to a small dial and dial a station. You can connect it to another phone and dial (on the big dial) to connect the sets. Mine is marked as a lecture aid and is number 17.
I found this video when I was researching the dial demonstrator.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

ayaeau

Hi,

I've seen many of those "instructional" videos on dialing and they are certainly wonderful. I'm looking for scenes in movies and on TV where people are dialing phones. I'm working through that lohohohohong thread, learning a lot, but many of those posts are about phones simply pictured on screen, so if anyone happens to read this thread and knows of such scenes, I'd love to know about them directly. Thanks for the welcome.

--Danny

19and41

Last evening I watched Agatha Christie's Poirot: Death In The Clouds from season 4.  At around 1hr. 06min. into the program, Japp takes a call on a Belgian copper phone that he holds by it's handle.  It's seen again around 1:11.  It's supposed to be taking place in Paris.  The first time I've seen one outside of a photograph.  If I could, I'd make a screen shot of it.  The program is offered on Britbox.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Russ Kirk

Odd looking phone in the Netflix movie, The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner. What is it?

Looks like it had a magneto on the top
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

The transmitter assy with the hook for the receiver appears to be SC. It looks like a 3 box set with the battery box removed and a shelf added

HarrySmith

Probably cobbled together by the prop department from whatever they could find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Same movie another incorrect phone. Automatic electric disguised as an 1930's Western Electric. Wrong modern type coin gauge, AE 21 Wall phone transmiter unit, looks like a repro coin return escutcheon and hard to see, but the vault door doesnt seem to have a lock at all.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

FABphones

'Incorrect phones in movies' that is a whole new thread. Liking it.  :)

Poirot's policeman buddy must have also time travelled to the future to bring back that Belgian RTT, stripped down to copper after the break up as well. Well done program researchers.  ::)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Russ Kirk on April 11, 2019, 11:59:49 PM
Odd looking phone in the Netflix movie, The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Costner. What is it?

Looks like it had a magneto on the top

Many Thanks to the moderator for uploading a better photo... Insert happy face here....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

FABphones

Watching some comedy clips on youtube today, spotted this green GPO 746 on the counter.
Screenshot from comedian Harry Enfield's  'I Saw You Coming' shop. Artisan Bakery sketch.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble