News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Darn Paul, you take the fun out of it. I wanted to hear her scream my name like in the end scene, over and over :o ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

BTW around scene 7:40 in the movie, there appears to be a different D1 on her table. She dials it and it very much sounds like a #6 dial as opposed to her other version D1. Just a tid-bit to notice.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Mr. Bones

The Twilight Zone is certainly rife with telephones, often prominently featured in the story / plot. I have several seasons on DVD, and might have seen the others, a time or two-ish. Still watch every evening at 2000, plus break out the discs, or Netflix them, on a daily basis. 8)

One of the reasons is to re-enjoy them, while looking at telephone apparatus. Mostly, they still just beat the vast majority of the pablum, and pure fecal matter that the channels seem to be purveying at present.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Quote from: BDM on June 03, 2014, 03:55:14 PM
BTW around scene 7:40 in the movie, there appears to be a different D1 on her table. She dials it and it very much sounds like a #6 dial as opposed to her other version D1. Just a tid-bit to notice.

Sounds like either a 4H with a stuck pulse pawl or a very early "silent" 5H with phenol pulse pawl.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BDM

Yeah maybe. I just heard the wind-up as she spun that dial to the stop. Reminded me of some #6 dials I've heard.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

TELEFON (1977)

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

The Warriors. Payphone with an F1 missing it's number card.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

twocvbloke

Spotted this just now while watching the following video on youtube, what looks like a 1A1/1A2 system phone with a gold (probably one of them metal covers) handset, behind the great bird of the galaxy that is Gene Roddenberry... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5s-7HN-a1I

Greg G.

Anita and I got hooked on Murdoch Mysteries.  Lots of sticks in this series, here's a couple of them.  I believe the phone in the third picture is called a "staircase"?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on July 09, 2014, 10:18:26 PM
Anita and I got hooked on Murdoch Mysteries.  Lots of sticks in this series, here's a couple of them.  I believe the phone in the third picture is called a "staircase"?
I just love how the receiver is always put upside-down on candlesticks. It's annoying, but hilarious at the same time!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

The telephone companies got themselves into the handset upside down issue, as they never standardized the way the ear pieces would hang.

Ben

Greg G.

More from Murdoch Mysteries.  This particular episode is called "Dial M for Murder", so much of the murder mystery is centered around phones.  Tell me if the switchboard technology looks period correct for 1899.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

The episode titled "Night Call" - photo grabbed from the opening minute of this Twilight Zone (Season 5 Episode 19) chiller.

New England Tel.

From the "Twilight Zone" episode, Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room, this phone appears to be a modified WE 653 with a G-type handset.

What say you? Was this actually produced or refurbished in this form, or was it a studio prop?

-Bob Archambault

poplar1

Quote from: New England Tel. on July 21, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
From the "Twilight Zone" episode, Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room, this phone appears to be a modified WE 653 with a G-type handset.

What say you? Was this actually produced or refurbished in this form, or was it a studio prop?

Conversion at WE repair shop. The dial version is coded 653BA per D-157315. The one pictured here started out as a non-dial 533A: notice the blank where the transmitter was originally in the center. Later, the transmitter was moved lower so that a dial could be added (553A or 653A). Finally, it was converted to a handset model. The B indicates a high impedance ringer.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.