News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO/BT "Jubilee" or "Compact" 776

Started by gpo706, April 04, 2011, 02:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120704356031&autorefresh=true
(dead link 11-27-21 )

10 sheets, 5.50 postage, nice slate grey colour, spurred on by GG's appreciation of his Jubilee "Balmoral blue"set.

Unconverted, but no fading, chips or cracks, hope the dial works...

Some links:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/t776.htm

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/phones_1960-80.htm#Compact

So GG, does this need a Trimpone type part straight, part curly line cord, and would a Trimphone grommet fit, or do I need to convert a Trimphone cord with a 700 series grommet glued on?

These sets need a seperate bellset, not that I need one with all the ringing junk in here!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Owain

Just looking at my Blue Compact (with matching wall mounting bell, brag brag)

the line cord is fully curly with a standard square grommet on both ends.

GG

Dude!  Score!  And thanks for starting the separate topic.  How long do I have to be a member here before I can start topics? 

A Trimphone cord won't fit a 776, the strain relief on the Trimphone cord is too small. 

Per Owain, the original cord is fully curly all the way.  However, any standard 706/746 cord will also fit properly and make the set functional, and IMHO will look acceptable.

It might be difficult to find the bellset as a separate item, so if you don't need it to ring, that saves you a search.

I have heard that some later 776s were produced with internal tweeters so they don't need external bellsets.  I've seen one such offered for sale somewhere.  If it sounds like the Trimphone, excellent.  But IMHO if it sounds like the GEC Statesman, o-u-c-h, best to wire it out or modify to lower the volume considerably.   Anything anyone can find out about 776s with tweeters would be interesting to know. 

bingster

Quote from: GG on April 05, 2011, 09:12:12 AM
Dude!  Score!  And thanks for starting the separate topic.  How long do I have to be a member here before I can start topics? 

GG, if you're on an individual forum page (Classifieds, General, etc.), you should see the following buttons in the dark tan bar above the thread topics:

MARK AS READ - NOTIFY - NEW TOPIC - NEW POLL

Clicking the "NEW TOPIC" button will get you a... new topic. Or do you not have those buttons?
= DARRIN =

gpo706

Quote from: GG on April 05, 2011, 09:12:12 AM

A Trimphone cord won't fit a 776, the strain relief on the Trimphone cord is too small. 

Per Owain, the original cord is fully curly all the way.  However, any standard 706/746 cord will also fit properly and make the set functional, and IMHO will look acceptable.

It might be difficult to find the bellset as a separate item, so if you don't need it to ring, that saves you a search.

I have heard that some later 776s were produced with internal tweeters so they don't need external bellsets.  I've seen one such offered for sale somewhere.  If it sounds like the Trimphone, excellent.  But IMHO if it sounds like the GEC Statesman, o-u-c-h, best to wire it out or modify to lower the volume considerably.   Anything anyone can find out about 776s with tweeters would be interesting to know. 

I could probably wire up an internal buzzer, but I don't need it, I have about 4 I keep for my Dictograph covertions, and they sound bloody horrible anyway.

So what I shall get is a standard boring grey BT cord for it as it didn't seem to come with a matching coloured cord in the first place, I could modify a trimline repro cord but these are flat wire not rounded.

GG

Bingster, I normally read via the "unread topics" feature so I don't see all those tabs or buttons.  But now that you mention it, I'll know where to look. 

Re. buzzers:  Most small station buzzers (such as the round ones in the US with the black leads) make a kind of annoying "clack-clack-clack-clack" sound rather than a proper buzz, due to the low frequency of ringing current (US 20 Hz) compared to mains current  (US 60 Hz) used for intercom buzzers e.g. on 1A2 key systems.  This might be fixed by using a bridge rectifier ahead of the buzzer leads, thereby creating the equivalent of doubling the frequency of the current pulses that are above zero volts, and doubling the frequency of the buzzer.  I should try this and if it works, post a description of how it was done.  Of course one could use a ring detect relay and AC mains transformer, and 6V station buzzer (US: round with blue leads) but that would become an energy hog over time and would require an additional wire pair to the telephone set. 

Anyone know anything about 776s with internal tweeters?

GG

Here's what got GPO706 & I discussing the 776 in the first place:

I'm quite convinced that the 776 was originally designed with the deliberate intent of producing a 50th anniversary update to the 232 with separate bellset.  If we were to find the person responsible for the design and interview him, he would probably say that, at minimum, the 232 with separate bellset was an influence in his thinking. 

---

Evidence:

The 232 was the last "original/unique GPO" design until the 706.  As is well known, the 332 originated in Sweden (Swedish Ericsson), and was only adopted into the UK due to the fortunate coincidence of HRH the Prince of Wales discovering it at an international exhibition.  However the 232 remained the iconic GPO telephone until the 706, and even retained its iconic status thereafter, whereas the 332 didn't quite reach the level of an icon. 

The separate bellset, per the 232, was a deliberate choice for the 776.  The 776 could have been designed with a Trimphone tweeter from the beginning, since the Trimphone was already successful and the technology existed to do this *easily* and at lower cost than providing a separate bellset. 

The combined wall mounting bracket for the telephone, that included a place for the bellset, was also a feature available for the 232, and was an unusual solution to the issue of providing a wall set.  Incorporating the bellset into the wall bracket was also an unusual choice for the 232, as the bellset could easily have been centrally mounted (in the home) per US and French practice at the time, or mounted separately on the wall below the wall bracket. 

The 776, like the Trimphone, could easily have been offered as a table phone only, with no wall mounting option, and no one would have objected or even noticed the absence: if they wanted a wall set they could have a 711.  Thus the wall bracket was another deliberate design element that was purely gratuitous and raised costs compared with not having one.   

The 232 originated in the 1920s, and the 776 in the 1970s: fifty years later, a significant anniversary.

The use of the 776 as the primary GPO offering to commemorate HM the Queen's Silver Jubilee (1952 - 1977, 25 years), as distinct from producing another set in Balmoral Blue or similar appropriate color, is convergent with the idea that the 776 was intended to have historic connotations.  Though I have lately seen on one of the UK sites, that there were apparently also commemorative Trimphones featuring appropriate Royal insignia and dates, so it is possible I'm mistaken about this point. 

Elements that added cost would not have been included unless they were considered important to the purpose of the design.  There is no question that a 776 with tweeter and with no wall mounting option, would have been less costly and equally accepted by the UK public, compared to the 776 as it was actually produced.  Thus the aforementioned design elements must necessarily be deliberate and purposeful. 

---

I'm wondering if any of the folks who are well-known in UK telephony history circles might try to find the person who created the 776 and interview them while they're still alive.  Thirty years from now we may regret not having taken the opportunity in time.  The interviews with Genaro (USA: 2500, Princess, Trimline) cover important parts of our history, so this would be analogous.  The design process for the 706 has already been documented, and I think for the 772 Trimphone has as well, so it's a logical step to cover the ground for the 776 and then for the, Ambassador, Statesman, Tribune, and Viscount ranges.  After that point, it would seem that BT fell into the general pattern of the rest of the world, whereby generic global products were re-branded, and for which historic documentation is probably not possible. 

(Note to those who object to my "dissertations" in the forums: should I be submitting this stuff to Singing Wires or some such publication instead? and how easy is it to get published in those places?)

Doug Rose

(Note to those who object to my "dissertations" in the forums: should I be submitting this stuff to Singing Wires or some such publication instead? and how easy is it to get published in those places?)

Singingwires is a TCI newsletter. You must be a member of the TCI to submit articles for the editor to decide upon publication.  The TCI Listserver is and open to anyone, as the Forum is.
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 06, 2011, 09:30:06 AM

Singingwires is a TCI newsletter. You must be a member of the TCI to submit articles for the editor to decide upon publication.  The TCI Listserver is and open to anyone, as the Forum is.

Since one of the goals of TCI (and therefore Singing Wires) is to help preserve the history of telephony, articles are welcome from any and all sources.  While most articles come from members, we have also published articles from non-members and reprints of articles from other sources.

Go here for details:
  http://www.telephonecollectors.org/singwire/singwire.htm

Here are some article guidelines that were in the March issue...

It is preferred that articles be limited to two pages. That means each should be no more than about 2000 words in length or less if pictures are to be included. Pictures should be of high resolution so they may be cropped as needed.

If you feel you do not have good writing skills, do not let that deter you. A member of the EAB will be glad to work with you on the writing of your article, providing assistance and editing to your satisfaction.  

TCI reserves the right to edit all articles for length and clarity.

Since I am a member of the Editorial Advisory Board (EAB) you can send material directly to me, if you prefer.

We're very flexible on topics.  Please share info about your collection, favorite phones, telephone related experiences, insights gained by reading vintage telephone literature etc.  Articles that highlight a big recent "score" or a newly discovered nuance of collecting that isn't common knowledge are especially welcome.

(Please reply to this message on this thread:
    http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4646.0)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

I'm enjoying the discussion and links in this topic, but feel the need for some photos showing the different bellsets available with the Compact phones...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

Paul has covered all the bases with the colours, I never seen one of these in use in anyone's house back in the day, so I'm wondering how (un)popular they were, I reckon the "Jubilee" sets in "Balmoral Blue" and with the dial centres must be pretty rare, especially the ones with Scottish version?

In 1977 every child in the UK were given a specially minted one-off 2 quid Jubilee coin, I still have mine and my brothers...

Owain

Quote from: gpo706 on April 06, 2011, 03:40:43 PM
Paul has covered all the bases with the colours, I never seen one of these in use in anyone's house back in the day, so I'm wondering how (un)popular they were, I reckon the "Jubilee" sets in "Balmoral Blue" and with the dial centres must be pretty rare, especially the ones with Scottish version?

I have never seen a non-English Jubilee dial centre. The Jubilee coloured bell mounts are also pretty rare.

Quote from: gpo706 on April 06, 2011, 03:40:43 PMIn 1977 every child in the UK were given a specially minted one-off 2 quid Jubilee coin, I still have mine and my brothers...

Oh did we. I shall have to ask Mother where mine is.

Doug Rose

These are just simply beautiful sets. I'd love to get a matching set. Are they fairly common or is this a big investment set. Really quite cool looking....Doug
Kidphone

Owain

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 06, 2011, 05:01:01 PM
These are just simply beautiful sets. I'd love to get a matching set. Are they fairly common or is this a big investment set. Really quite cool looking....Doug

Not too epensive but you will have to keep an eye out if you want the colour matching bellset.

(Ebay) Brown Compact without bellset, in Brown - starting at £5 + postage

(Ebay) Two Compacts in grey with base units (they have sun yellowed) - starting at £30 + postage.

(Ebay) Blue Compact without bellset - Buy It Now £27 + postage

GG

Doug, Paul, thanks for the info.

Paul, your next-to-last photo I think is the BT publicity photo so it's probably safe to use if I wrote a TCI article.   (Is it just me, or do the brown examples in BT publicity photos look darker than the real-world photos, the latter appearing substantially lighter?)

Anyone know where I can find a copyright-safe or permission-available photo of the 232 on its wall bracket (the curvey bakelite wall mounting bracket with bellset in the bracket)? 

Doug, from what I've seen the slate gray (off-white) and brown are the most common and affordable; the standard bellset in slate gray matches the telephone so that's a matched pair by definition.  Bright blue is more scarce, and the Silver Jubilee version in balmoral blue (Navy blue) is most scarce.  Also expect to pay about $45 in shipping costs to get these to the US.  (International shipping has gone through the roof in the recent years; methinks an early sign of peak oil; good luck getting foreign payphones into the US now for less than $150 in shipping costs!) 

For Americans to bid on items listed in Ebay UK or Australia, write to the seller as soon as you see the item and ask them to change the item settings to make it available in North America as well.  Unfortunately this means it gets seen by that many more possible buyers, so asking for a change to allow Buy It Now may also be useful. 

Re. them not being widely seen in UK houses:  I'm going to guess it was because they weren't available for long enough to catch on widely, and the Trimphone would also work in window ledges and other limited spaces.  Though, I have never managed to find a way to balance a Trimphone handset on my shoulder, but the handset used on the Compact does so easily.