News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear WE 2500

Started by WesternElectricBen, May 26, 2014, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hey guys, I was just looking over craigslist and I spoted this: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/atq/4452795683.html ( dead link 04-21-21 )

They want 100 dollars for a clear Western Electric (as they say) 2500. If it really is WE, I'm guessing it will be worth the 100 dollars for someone?

Ben

Adam

Here's the rub.  ITT clear plastic 2500s, made by Cortelco, are relatively easy to find, they were sold commercially (unlike the for internal test use like the Western Electric Bell System version) and it's also relatively common to find these ITT clear plastics married to otherwise Western Electric 2500 components (I own one of these myself, ITT clear plastics that I combined with a Western Electric 2500 base and internal handset components).

So, before buying one of these, if you're hoping for the full Western Electric version, it's important to see pics that show the Western Electric brand on the rear of the 2500 shell and on the handset.  Otherwise, it's ITT plastics.  The Western Electric authenticity of the set for sale above cannot be determined from the attached pic.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

WesternElectricBen

Thanks Adam, your information is much appreciated. I wasn't going to buy it, but for the future.

I'l mostly likely ask the seller about the emblems.

Thanks,
Ben