News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spotted a rareity - BT Kiosk 7A, the yellow pedestal!!

Started by twocvbloke, July 27, 2012, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I haven't seen one of these since I was in singe digits, I thought that they had all been scrapped, but it seems that there are still some 7As in operation, like this one in Pelton, near Chester-le-street... ;D

I spotted it just as we passed it on the bus, so didn't have time to take a pic of it, but I found it on Streetview:

http://tinyurl.com/bpq4hge

I wonder how many people have offered to buy it off BT to save it before those loiterers there trash it.... :D

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

I occasionally find hard to find booths and pedestals here in British Columbia as well. Most are gone, a couple of them to my back patio but it is nice to find one still in use occasionally.

Terry

twocvbloke

I don't know why BT decided to scrap most of these kiosks, they're a pretty simple design, and as shown here, they lasted well, I guess people just wanted more privacy when making calls I suppose...  :-\

I also spotted an old KX100 phone box just outside Sunderland city centre, old enough to still have yellow decals on it from when BT were still  relatively new company, no old-style logo though, just yellow "TELEPHONE" decals round the top, I'm surprised that it has lasted so long without being burned to the ground, smashed up by oiks, or run over by a car/van/bus/HGV....  :D