News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pledge!

Started by electric al, March 10, 2015, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric al

I have been doing a little research , and the conclusion is that Pledge works well to clean plastic .

Has anyone used this ?
Never met a phone I didn't like !

DavePEI

Hi Al:

My impression is that Pledge is mostly a wax, and while items might look a bit better after using it, it hasn't necessarily cleaned any better than water will. It is the wax that leaves the shine. Correct me if I am wrong, folks!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

There is a variety of Pledge cleaners.

I guess I would concede that Pledge or other cleaners take off some contamination that water and soap don't.  I am thinking perhaps of organic deposits, such as nicotine.

The shine it leaves for a while draws more attention than whatever dirt is left, I suppose, but if it works to personal satisfaction, then it's hard to argue about it.

There is more than one avenue to a sparkling phone.

[not an endorsement!]

Bill

From the Pledge web site

QuoteAll Pledge® aerosol cleaners, with the exception of Pledge® Multi Surface cleaners, contain silicone.

Be real careful here. In the old radio community, we learn early NEVER to use any product with silicone. You can never get the silicone off the surface, and silicone ensures that the surface will not take paint of any kind. If you are sure that you will never want to paint an item, then go for it. Otherwise, don't spray anything that is in the same room as an item that you might later want to paint. Overspray mist can be a killer.

Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Hmm, Pledge has an "Extra Moisturizing" spray for making wood look good. I wonder if that would work on plastic to give it a really good sparkle. I also wonder how well it works on wood, for that matter.

http://m.pledge.com/extra-moisturizing-furniture-spray.html
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

One always has to be aware of the ingredients in any cleaner and know the potential effects on old, irreplaceable parts.
If a product contains silicone I would in general stay away from it if I only want to achieve cleaning.  Anything with silicone in it is meant for finishing. Silicones are hard to remove once applied, but there are cleaners that do so. Those cleaners need to be carefully evaluated separately, because they may also effect plastics in undesirable ways.

Russ Kirk

Frankly, I have never thought of using Pledge on plastics or phones, I'm glad I have used it on my phones. 

I know Pledge on wood causes it to turn yellow and have a horrible coating that needs to be stripped.  The yellowing takes several years to develop. I stripped it off my dining room table with Murphy's Oil soap.

So does Avon's Skin-So-Soft (SSS) have silicone?  I have read that SSS brings out a great shine on bakelite phones. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

JimH

I've always wondered how these products can "moisturize" wood when most furniture has a coat of varnish, shellac, or polyurethane on it.  On telephones, a little bit goes a long way, as long as the plastic surface is already pretty shiny.  I've never had a problem with it.
Jim H.

TelePlay

Pledge Extra Moisturizing Furniture Spray contains these chemicals:

Water;
Isoparaffin (Carrier);
Dimethicone (Film Former);
Octylphosphonic Acid (Corrosion Inhibitor);
Nitrogen (Propellant);
Polysorbate 80 (Emulsifier);
Sorbitan Oleate (Emulsifier);
Polydimethylsiloxane (Film Former);
Aminomethyl Propanol (pH Adjuster);
Fragrance from SC Johnson Fragrance Palette (Fragrance);
Proprietary Thickening Agent (Thickener);
Methylisothiazolinone

Now, silicone is not present but dimethicone is. Someone may know the chemistry of this ingredient but off hand it seems to be the one that "wets" to wood by forming a wet looking film on the surface.

"Dimethicone is a silicone film former that can also be found in skin lotions, bath soaps and shampoos. Sometimes referred to as "silicone oil," dimethicone is the most widely used silicone polymer and is particularly known for its ability to smoothly coat a surface and leave it protected, without being sticky. In products that are applied to the skin, dimethicone can also be used as an emollient that helps soften and smooth the skin. In household products, it creates a protective coating or shine on a surface."

Pledge is a mixture of chemicals and is not intended for use on skin; Avon SSS is so it's ingredients are natural, more mild, less harmful to the body and all that entails under the FDA regs.

MINERAL OIL/HUILE MINERALE ;
ISOPROPYL PALMITATE ;
DICAPRYL ADIPATE ;
PARFUM/FRAGRANCE ;
DIOCTYL SODIUM SULFOSUCCINATE ;
BHT ;
DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL

Posted for posterity; and it's open to correction and comment.

WEBellSystemChristian

So, let me get this straight; Pledge uses harsh ingredients that basically cover the material it is applied to and make the material 'prettied up' with the film of ingredients. These ingredients can harm the surface it's applied to. On the other hand, Avon SSS is basically the same in terms of how it works, but it's more natural and doesn't negatively affect the material it's applied to.

Correct?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on March 12, 2015, 10:28:12 PM
Pledge Extra Moisturizing Furniture Spray contains these chemicals:

Water;
Isoparaffin (Carrier);
Dimethicone (Film Former);
Octylphosphonic Acid (Corrosion Inhibitor);
Nitrogen (Propellant);
Polysorbate 80 (Emulsifier);
Sorbitan Oleate (Emulsifier);
Polydimethylsiloxane (Film Former);
Aminomethyl Propanol (pH Adjuster);
Fragrance from SC Johnson Fragrance Palette (Fragrance);
Proprietary Thickening Agent (Thickener);
Methylisothiazolinone

Now, silicone is not present but dimethicone is. Someone may know the chemistry of this ingredient but off hand it seems to be the one that "wets" to wood by forming a wet looking film on the surface.

"Dimethicone is a silicone film former that can also be found in skin lotions, bath soaps and shampoos. Sometimes referred to as "silicone oil," dimethicone is the most widely used silicone polymer and is particularly known for its ability to smoothly coat a surface and leave it protected, without being sticky. In products that are applied to the skin, dimethicone can also be used as an emollient that helps soften and smooth the skin. In household products, it creates a protective coating or shine on a surface."

Pledge is a mixture of chemicals and is not intended for use on skin; Avon SSS is so it's ingredients are natural, more mild, less harmful to the body and all that entails under the FDA regs.

MINERAL OIL/HUILE MINERALE ;
ISOPROPYL PALMITATE ;
DICAPRYL ADIPATE ;
PARFUM/FRAGRANCE ;
DIOCTYL SODIUM SULFOSUCCINATE ;
BHT ;
DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL

Posted for posterity; and it's open to correction and comment.

Strange that the list would include both polydimethylsiloxane and dimethicone, which are probably the very same thing.

TelePlay

That's a good synopsis. Just keep in mind that everything, or a high percentage of everything, in the SSS gets absorbed by or into the skin in it's application. Pledge is sprayed on wood, plastic, metal, etc.

This is from the SC Johnson Material Safety Data Sheet for Pledge:

"Immediate Concerns: Caution, Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Contents under pressure. Do not puncture or incinerate. Do not store at temperatures above 120 Deg. F (50 Deg C), as container may burst. May be harmful if swallowed."

and

"Potential Health Effects

Exposure routes: Eye, Skin, Inhalation, Ingestion.

Eyes: May cause Mild eye irritation
Skin: Prolonged or repeated contact may dry skin and cause irritation.
Inhalation: No adverse effects expected when used as directed.
Ingestion: May cause irritation to mouth, throat and stomach. May cause abdominal discomfort.
Aggravated Medical Condition: Persons with pre-existing skin disorders may be more susceptible to irritating effects"

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on March 12, 2015, 10:53:56 PM
Strange that the list would include both polydimethylsiloxane and dimethicone, which are probably the very same thing.

They do describe "poly" a bit different than "dimeth" but, yes, they seem similar. SC Johnson's double dose of wet filming a surface. . . (the extra moisturizing ingredient in Pledge Extra?")

"Polydimethylsiloxane

Polydimethylsiloxane is a silicone film former that can also be found in skin lotions and hair care products. We use it in our products to create a protective coating or shine on a surface. This means that the surface has an added level of protection, and also has the shine that helps the surface look its best."

TelePlay

Ah, should have caught this earlier. The suffix "ane" is for an alkane (C=C bonds) and "one" is for a ketone (C=O bonds) structure so they are not the same but probably do the same thing, or work together to provide the results desired by the manufacturer.

And "ol" indicates an alcohol as in ethanol, the stuff that will be consumed in great quantity tomorrow, 3/17, in many communities.

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on March 16, 2015, 09:58:55 PM

Ah, should have caught this earlier. The suffix "ane" is for an alkane (C=C bonds) and "one" is for a ketone (C=O bonds) structure so they are not the same but probably do the same thing, or work together to provide the results desired by the manufacturer.

And "ol" indicates an alcohol as in ethanol, the stuff that will be consumed in great quantity tomorrow, 3/17, in many communities.

Well, you can't do that.  These endings are not that universal.  In this case, a siloxane is simply the sequence -Si-O-Si-. It is not an alkane at all. Other "oxane"s  are carbon chains, usually rings, with -O- interspersed, for example, dioxane with two oxygen atoms.

Alkanes also don't have a double bond, as in -C=C-, but simply -C—C-.  Double bonded chains (-C=C-) are actually alkenes.

Ketone is correct as -C=O, with terminal oxygen, but dimethicone is simply another non-systematic name for dimethylpolysiloxane, or polydimethylsiloxane and does not indicate anything like a ketone.

When you have too much of a certain -ol, then all this makes even less sense and becomes rather amusing.