News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Kellogg 1000

Started by wds, October 20, 2011, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I was watching an auction for this Kellogg 1000, metal, and asked the seller for a picture of the inside.  At first I thought this was one of their intercom phones, which is pretty common for Kellogg.  I try to be careful about not getting an intercom.  However, seller says that the ringer rings, which I guess rules out the DC ringer.  The dial seems to be completely wired wrong also.  Has anyone seen anything like this, or can you tell what's going on with this phone?

http://tinyurl.com/6jktesr
Dave

rdelius

The ringer came out of another telephone but is a st line. My guess the telephone had no dial so no dial wiring harness with  plug  .The metal case is hard to find though

GG

Here's what happened to that one (i'm very certain of this):

It originally had a frequency ringer or no ringer at all.  Either way it would not ring.  A previous owner or a refurb shop added the ringer you see there.

The ringer that's in there now is an ITT ringer from either an ITT Trendline or an ITT 830 / 2830 (perhaps they are the same).  Strictly speaking that's not "mongrelized" since ITT owned Kellogg:-)

So, yes it will work, no it's not original, it won't sound like an original 2-gong ringer, and hopefully whoever did that didn't damage the baseplate too much, on the unlikely chance you'll find a Kellogg straight-line ringer as a spare part.

BTW, one of those metal K-1000s could look way cool if the housing was powder-coated red to match the hookswitch plunger, and the handset & dial were kept in black.

wds

From reading the code on the bottom of the phone, it came with a 20 hz harmonic ringer, but no dial.  So someone in the past removed the ringer and added the dial.  I guess my real concern is the damage to the connecting block, and which components it has - whether it's set up for CB use, or LB or intercom. 
Dave

Doug Rose

I don't think this is a metal shell. Looks too good with no paint chips. Ad stated, metal dial. My guess is its a bakelite shell. Check out the botton with the screw for the ringer in the middle. Just my opinion....Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

If the Kellogg 1000 has a #113 coil in it then it is set for Common battery. A Local battery phone will have a #114 coil in it.
Doug Pav

wds

I also have a redbar that came with a 36A coil.  It was an intercom - not sure what the difference in the coil is. 
Dave

recrum

I'm actually the winner of that auction.  Yes believe it or not it is a metal body.  And yes it did need some work.  I had to replace the dial harness, ringer and it had a very cheap cloth covered FLAT modular line cord.  Now I do plan on replacing the dial all together with a Kellogg dial I already have as I recently acquired an AE 40 with a frozen dial I can use it in.  So for $51 I think I got a pretty good deal

wds

Nice purchase.  I ended up picking up a different metal 1000.  I think every metal 1000 I've looked at had a frequency ringer.  The one I ended up with was labeled a frequency ringer, but actually had a SL ringer, so I got lucky.  Good luck with yours!
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: recrum on November 12, 2011, 02:05:28 AM
I'm actually the winner of that auction.  Yes believe it or not it is a metal body.  And yes it did need some work.  I had to replace the dial harness, ringer and it had a very cheap cloth covered FLAT modular line cord.  Now I do plan on replacing the dial all together with a Kellogg dial I already have as I recently acquired an AE 40 with a frozen dial I can use it in.  So for $51 I think I got a pretty good deal
Metal Kellogg's are a cool phone. I am more than happy to be wrong about the case. It looked like it was refurbed with the cords being new. Was the metal painted? If it is, it was a very professional job. I am thrilled for you. I do have an old 1000 hanging around that has a broken bakelite shell, but has all the parts insdie the phone. Let me know if you need anything to complete your project. Congrats!!! Great phone....Doug
Kidphone

recrum

It gonna say it has to be a repaint just because there's no wear that I can see.  But yet I can't see any tell tail signs that it's a repaint either.  There's no difference color wist between inside and out but none of the screw holes have any evidence of paint.

EDIT: I do have an issue I haven't been able to fix.  As you can see in the picture the front wont sit right on the base.  I even tried a different base i had lying around.  Has anyone else had this problem or has a hint how to fix it?

wds

I've picked up a couple of the metal 1000's in the last couple weeks.  The first one was nice and had the SL ringer.  This second one I got for $25 including shipping, and has a dial I haven't seen before.  By all appearances it's an AE dial, but it's stamped Kellogg on the back.  Was this common? 
Dave

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

GG

That's a Kellogg 15-G dial.

Stromberg-Carlson also produced their own version of the AE dial as well, during the time period just before they went to the design we all think of as the SC dial from the 1243s and 1543s. 

The difference in the Kellogg version is in the ratchet mechanism, which has two "arms" without a tension spring, rather than one arm with a tension spring (AE).  Aside from that, near as I can tell the parts are interchangeable. 

Kellogg also has a 10-G dial, which is a unique mechanism and on which the impulse cam has a slight resemblance to that on the SC dial.  It's not clear to me what the historic sequence was, whether 10-G or 15-G came first, or whether both were made simultaneously.  If I had to guess I'd say 15-G came first and 10-G came later, despite having a lower number. 

wds

Very interesting.  I'm familiar with this Kellogg dial, of which I have a couple, and is shown on their manuals.  I didn't know they also made a Kellogg version of the AE dial.  Thanks!
Dave