News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045

Started by Ed Morris, December 24, 2017, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

Am I correct in assuming the BK 1045 is a different model than either the BK 1045A or BK1045B?  I took a chance on a "powers on, but not tested" BK 1045 on eBay for under $100, and luckily, all functions seem to work.  The only manual I've been able to find online is for the BK 1045B, which is certainly close enough to be useful.  The tester is simple enough to figure out without a manual, but I always like to have one anyway.

Does anyone know a source for a BK 1045 manual download?  Thanks!

Ed

Jim Stettler

The 1045's all are about the same. Some of the early ones may not light dials on princess or trimline phones, I used to have the note that said which serial # they made the change. Mine was earlier but it did have the change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was also a change  for the AC cord. Later testers have a standard (computer-type) cord.
--------------------------------------------------------
the 1045 is pretty much plug-and play. You can figure out all the functions by playing with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I assembled/created a few adapters for mine, 4 prong adapter, mod cord  to test clips, wall phone plate adapter, hardwire cord adaptors, ect

The 1045 is a nice little machine, New they used to cost about $500.00

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ed Morris

Thanks, Jim, for the information.  Mine is S/N 120-00156.  It has a detachable AC power cord, but smaller than a standard computer AC cord, more like a vintage kitchen appliance cord, but for a three pin plug.
Ed

AE_Collector

That sort of sounds like the current/newest type of plug in cords. Smallervoverall tgan the old computer cord plugs and ach "pin" is sort of rounded, in the two and the three conductor versions. There is a polarized version as well where one pin is flat on the edge and the other is rounded.

Terry

TelePlay

Some Dell laptop power adapters used a triangular 3 plug on the opposite end of the three pronged polarized wall plug, then some used a two hole non-polarized adapter plug on the opposite end of a polarized wall plug, and for the same computer. And i've seen and have flat sided two holed end of a two pronged polarized wall plug but those were used for wall power directly into old voice recorders,  boom boxes and appliances like box fans.

Between then and now, manufacturers discovered it was easier and cheaper to destroy wall warts than the appliances to get UL approval. With the device being low DC voltage from the adapter cord plug in, the AC to DC  converter was no longer in the appliances and only the external wart had to be tested.

AE_Collector

Remote heat dissipation is another benefit of remote power supplies. And the most likely part to fail of anything electronic is likely a part of the power supply so making this "user serviceable" (replaceable) is probably a good idea overall. But in the eyes of those of us who "like wires", the lack of wires (IE: one AC cord to a device that has a built in power supplie) just seems nicer still doesn't it?

My guess on the two versus three (ground added) pin connectors  ring used for the very same computer or other device is likely related to differences in electrical codes from one country to another.

These newer connectors must have a name?

<edit> Google NEMA C7 for the two conductor, C5 for three conductor and the older style 3 conductor computer cords were C15.

Here's a decent chart:
https://www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx

Terry

Ed Morris

Here are a couple photos of the AC cord on  the BK 1045.  The plug looks to be about 1" x 1/2."  The 3-prong male plug on the other end of the AC cord, and the ribbed rubber insulation on the AC cord is very similar to the power cord on my 60's era scroll saw.

Ed

Jim Stettler

That is the old style cord, I found an adding machine cord that would swap.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Vacuumlad1650

If they weren't so expensive, I would buy one!

Great find!
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 25, 2017, 11:46:39 AM
Here's a decent chart:
https://www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx

Interesting chart and a wealth of information. However, I have several devices that use a 120 VAC power cord that had a plug on the end of the cord that fits into a jack on the device that does not show up on any of these charts, and I looked at most of them.

https://www.stayonline.com/reference-home.aspx   (the web page showing all charts and links to them)

The plug I have looks like this, polarized by the flat side. No big deal, just saying these are hard to find if a replacement is needed. I modified one of the images on the chart to show what I have, am talking about.

AE_Collector

Yes agreed, I've seen those polarized ones too. But, only I thought the non polarized plug...socket (on end of cord) fits into the device that has the polarized plug on it. Seems odd as the design forces you to connect the two properly if using the cord that came with the device but grab one out of a drawer in the dungeon and you've got a 50 50 chance....

Terry

TelePlay

Knew exactly where one was located in the dungeon, on the box fan I use with my dust free paint box. Also have a similar connector an an old cassette desk recorder. Misplaced the cord to the fan and looked in multiple antique malls for months before finding one, and then, you guessed it, I found the lost cord a week later.

AE_Collector

So, does an Non Squared cord fit into the fan? Pretty sure it will.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 21, 2018, 08:32:33 PM
So, does an Non Squared cord fit into the fan? Pretty sure it will.

Terry

I have a non-squared AC cord on a "boom box" (an early predecessor of today's cloud libraries on smart phones) so can try that tomorrow. I'll have to watch polarities, just in case, so the fan does not run in reverse . . .  ;)

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on January 21, 2018, 09:05:29 PM
I have a non-squared AC cord on a "boom box" (an early predecessor of today's cloud libraries on smart phones) so can try that tomorrow. I'll have to watch polarities, just in case, so the fan does not run in reverse . . .  ;)

Yes that would blow dust onto your paint project rather than away.

I used to have an 8 track player....is it a predecessor to the cloud as well?

Terry