News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sort of Lucky on FaceBook

Started by Desert Phone Guy, September 09, 2020, 06:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

Although not the stellar find Doug Rose secured, I was somewhat pleased with this one.

A working Western Electric BEVELED *250* nickel transmitter and back cup.

The transmitter was $15, and shipping was $10 for a total of $25.

I am pleased.

Question for the group:  Were these used only on wall phones or were they applied to Desk Stands?

Thanks

Steve Cole

Doug Rose

Steve....that is fantastic. Just wonderful condition. It is a beauty.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

250 is the number for a "bracket transmitter" -- that is, mounted on a long arm for a wall phone.

They do turn up on desk stands, but in my opinion, these were added later, not original factory assembly. (Walt A. disagrees with me on this since he has found so many desk stands with 250s.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: poplar1 on September 09, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
250 is the number for a "bracket transmitter" -- that is, mounted on a long arm for a wall phone.

They do turn up on desk stands, but in my opinion, these were added later, not original factory assembly. (Walt A. disagrees with me on this since he has found so many desk stands with 250s.)

I don't claim to know what happened back in the day but a 250 was supplied with a bracket (long arm) so originally it would have only been fitted to wall telephones. However, a 250 and a 229 are both high resistance transmitters used for both local battery and common battery service. I don't have any here to check - is there any difference between the elements?

I suspect that operating company refurbishers used whatever they had and would not think twice about swapping a dead 229 for a live 250 if the need arose.

I think lots of collectors and dealers would have even less reluctance to swap them.

But that's just what I think.

Regards
Jack