News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very nice blue 302 on eBay. How nice?

Started by baldopeacock, October 13, 2014, 05:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

$4999.00 nice?    ::)    I believe this is a fishing expedition.

RARE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-MEDITERRANEAN-BLUE-MODEL-302-304-PHONE-ALL-DATED-1953

unbeldi

No, that guy is real, well the phone is real and indeed very nice.
He just has a little uncommon pricing sense.

I talked to him a week or two ago.

tallguy58

"the baseplate is larger to accommodate more screws"

It is??

That screw is the condenser strap screw which, according to the photos, does not appear to be fastened properly.

But remember, the phone was "lovingly buffed" not just regular old buffing.

Guy's on crack.
Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 13, 2014, 05:28:32 PM
"the baseplate is larger to accommodate more screws"

It is??

That screw is the condenser strap screw which, according to the photos, does not appear to be fastened properly.

But remember, the phone was "lovingly buffed" not just regular old buffing.

Guy's on crack.

He doesn't know much, and is trying his best to explain things, when he just shouldn't.
I am sure he is referring to the phenol connection plate next to the condenser.

I am just glad he didn't polish the gongs too.

Doug Rose

Its looks amazing! I bet it sells for the 5K + with no fishies involved  ;D...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

California pricing for a southern California buyer?

" . . . is sure to fit into your period decorating scheme."

Nice looking period phone for that special room if the feng shui works . . .

Doug Rose

I thught it would go for 5K. Way tough phones are going ...this is a deal...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: baldopeacock on October 16, 2014, 04:07:38 PM
Half Price Sale, 3 Days Only!   Now only $2499.   (getting closer)

At that price, I'd expect free shipping or something under $30.

Not this:  "Shipping: $104.41 Expedited Shipping

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on October 16, 2014, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: baldopeacock on October 16, 2014, 04:07:38 PM
Half Price Sale, 3 Days Only!   Now only $2499.   (getting closer)

At that price, I'd expect free shipping or something under $30.

Not this:  "Shipping: $104.41 Expedited Shipping
Maybe it's shipped on Air Force One, with its own private room and Limousine ride right to your front door! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimHyak

Here is the competition at $2499.95, but they are " out of stock"
http://www.oldphoneworks.com/302-blue-all-original-fully-refurbished.html
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

JohnInWI

The seller states that the "seal" on the handset is coming unglued.  See attached photo.  Weren't the handsets molded in one piece?  I think the seller is actually referring to the parting line on the mold which has actually cracked from shrinkage due to age.

unbeldi

Handsets were molded in one piece, other than that the inside of the handle was actually open, so it appears, and was closed, either glued or welded, with a 'lid' that displayed the inscription/logo in the center. The edges of this closure do indeed open up very often, usually at the end though, where they lift up slightly, but less often along the length of the piece.

I have never actually seen any other closure then the standard "Bell System" type displaying "Western Electric", but do recall someone stating that they had one that didn't display "Bell System".
Even Northern Electric apparently sourced these handsets from Western without replacing the insert.

I suppose there are other reasons to produce these handsets 'open', other than to be flexible with labels. Perhaps they had in mind to provide the opportunity for a switch or button, to make F3 handsets. But it may simply have been to provide a location for the injection nozzle in the mold, and it would perhaps make it much easier to install the two wires leading to the receiver this way.

Bakelite handset were made quite differently, from two phenolic resin pucks that were placed into the press where the transmitter and the receiver cups ended up. The high pressure when closing the press then squeezed the resin into the rest of the hollow and the two material masses met and fused in the center of the handle.

Thermoplastic molding works differently. It is injected into the mold hollow. Here they needed to have the nozzle in the center of the handle, I believe, to provide even distribution or flow of the molten plastic into the ends.

JohnInWI

Unbeldi, thank you for the explaination!  I forgot about the handset in color being thermoplastic.  I am used to just seeing the Bakelite black F1s.

unbeldi

I believe Western used yet another process to make the plastic G-type handsets, like the G3 on the colored 500-type phones.

I think these were actually made in two pieces, the transmitter end and the receiver end, which then were fused to connect in the middle somehow. I suppose this would also provide the opportunity to change the in-molded logo area upon final fusing.  IIRC, it is the clear plastic handsets of the clear exhibition sets where this construction becomes evident.  But I have no idea whether there are yet other processes used for the G-types.