News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 T that went for a lot

Started by McHeath, May 20, 2010, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

This old 500 T certainly went high!  I was expecting a 20-40 dollar final bid, but it ended at $132.  It's dated 10/51, which is nice and old, and it still has the straight handset cord, but gee that's a lot to me.  Or maybe these older models with unusual features are gaining more value.  The T model is like the later J/K's, a 425A network with no equalizer and it was intended for rural long loops. 

http://tinyurl.com/2ws2fbe

Dan

I just don't get it. Good deal for the seller
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on May 20, 2010, 11:23:00 PM
I just don't get it. Good deal for the seller

It all depends on your desire and pocketbook. The buyer was probably happy he won.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

A little over a year ago I paid about $13 for my 12/51 model J/K 500.  It did not have the straight cord at the time, nor a G1 handset but instead a G3, but the lower parts were all original dated and in great shape. 

Dan/Panther

It's just like the one I finished last week.
I just noticed it's a 500 T, not a 501 T. The 501 T has the tube, the 500 doesn't is that correct ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 21, 2010, 12:18:46 AM
It's just like the one I finished last week.
I just noticed it's a 500 T, not a 501 T. The 501 T has the tube, the 500 doesn't is that correct ?
D/P

Correct.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Single_Line
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jester

This is a minor detail, but I have noticed in the 500 T's that have been pictured with the cover off, all of those that I have seen are equipped with the 4 wire ringer coil(C4A).  The 501T's seem to all have the C3A ringer(two lead ringer).
Stephen

Dan/Panther

jester;
Yes mine has the C3A ringer two wire.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

Quote from: Jester on May 22, 2010, 06:12:09 PM
This is a minor detail, but I have noticed in the 500 T's that have been pictured with the cover off, all of those that I have seen are equipped with the 4 wire ringer coil(C4A).  The 501T's seem to all have the C3A ringer(two lead ringer).

My 500T has a C2A 2-lead ringer

McHeath

That's curious.  My 500 J/K from 12/51 has a 4 lead C2A ringer.  Sadly it no longer rings.  I haven't troubleshooted it out yet to see where the problem is. 

Jester

A correction to my above statement--the four lead ringer should be a C2A.  Ben, I'd double check that coil--it looks like it has 4 leads to me.
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Quote from: benhutcherson on May 23, 2010, 07:20:23 PM

My 500T has a C2A 2-lead ringer

Ben:

I'm with Jester on this one.  I'll bet if you look carefully underneath the coil, you will find a black and a slate/red wire there too. 

My C2A has 4 wires, and I thought only the C3A had two.  I can see in your photo that there appears to be a black ringer wire hooked to the G terminal. 

The C3A ringer only has a red and a black.  The wires visible from the top of the coil in your photo are red and slate.
-Bill G