News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC Painted Fatboy

Started by Doug Rose, May 07, 2016, 06:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I love a challenge and this was a challenge. Thick heavy paint on this beautiful Fatboy.  This didn't bubble and peal off, four hours of citrus stripper and fine steel wool. What a PITA. Not finished, but happy so far. Phone saved! It is working, but the cords are shot, Such a cool design...Doug

http://tinyurl.com/z7ohdgu
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Cool. Great design on those. Nice cleanup!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

And to think, someone thought that they were honestly improving the phone by painting it. At least they didn't go the lamp route.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

And at a great price . . .     if elbow grease is close to free in your workshop.

Straight line or frequency ringer?

WEBellSystemChristian

Great job, Doug! It looks new! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

thanks guys...those tiny crevices  where the paint loves to hide was loads of fun. I finish the cords tomorrow. It was 4PM and I was cooking swordfish on the grill so my time was up. Needed a few cold ones before cooking....and after!

John....rings loud and clear!! I post better pics tomorrow, if it ever stops raining here. We are 0 for May in Boston, rain every day...Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Nice job!  I'll remember the citrus stripper when I go to do mine.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Briny....yours looks just like mine, I wonder why they did this. Mine still had the SC decal intact, but it could not be saved. On the positive side, the paint really protected the Bakelite. Just a cool looking phone, good luck with the refurb. My hands don't feel bad at all today, just a little dry...only used one pair of gloves! Hopefully the retainer is chrome underneath the paint. It does look sharp with the chrome finger wheel.....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Here's mine - with the older handset.

Once users were allowed to own their own phones, lots of alternatives appeared - from new designer phones to refurbed classics.  Painted SC and Kellogg bakelite set were apparently popular from the 1970s to the turn of the century.

Here's a listing from a 1996 Chicago Old Telephones catalog showing the SC 1212.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

and the finished phone....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

That is a great looking phone!....You rescued a nice piece!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

thanks to all...I do appreciate it....Doug
Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

I do think it looks best in Black.

Very nice!

Nick

19and41

An older phone seems to look odd in color, unless it has a translucent quality with the plastic itself being pigmented.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke