News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 'Rural' Dial Bezel??

Started by Mr. Bones, April 20, 2013, 09:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Do any of you have, or have you seen, a numeric (only) type dial bezel, for a 500-series phone?

I recently saw one on ePay, on an ITT Kellogg 554, and thought it to be interesting, perhaps, somewhat rare(?)

Maybe, these are quite common, but this is the first example I have seen.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

They are somewhat unusual on Western Electric sets -- used primarily on dials used in data communications applications or part of the teletype network.  For example:

http://www.paul-f.com/we691.htm

They are somewhat more common on ITT and Stromberg Carlson sets that were sold to smaller independent phone companies.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

This is sort-of a sideline for my collection, I own several ITT and Stromberg-Carlson 500 sets in various colors with numerals-only dials.

In their catalogues, ITT officially called these "Regular" dials, and dials with numbers and letters were called "Metropolitan" (or "Metro") dials.

Below is one of my faves, a red Stromberg-Carlson 500.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

Terrance, you could of picked up some 500 type rural dial rings CHEAP at the Abilene KS show (yesterday  and today)I just got home about an hour ago.
I was hoping you would show up and surprise me .  Next year it is April 18-19 2014. You are so close you really should really make a point to  attend next year.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Mr. Bones

Adam, thanks for sharing the pic and info!

Beautiful phone, by the way! Do you have any examples of 500's/554's with the 'regular' bezel, in black? I'd just love to see picture(s)!

I am intrigued by this variant. Now, of course, ;) I'll have to find me some.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: Jim S. on April 20, 2013, 11:11:44 PM
Terrance, you could of picked up some 500 type rural dial rings CHEAP at the Abilene KS show (yesterday  and today)I just got home about an hour ago.
I was hoping you would show up and surprise me .  Next year it is April 18-19 2014. You are so close you really should really make a point to  attend next year.
JMO,
Jim

Jim, sorry I couldn't make it there!

I had really hoped to be able to, both to meet fellow collectors, and to enjoy the displays, auctions, etc. I truly appreciate your more-than-generous offer of 10 boxes of C.R.A.P., but didn't see it until well past the expiry date that morning. I get up at 0500-0530-ish, but I don't usually get on the computer until after work. (post 1600+)

With my sincerest apologies,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Jim Stettler

It's OK. I am going to try to sucker "Nick in Manitou" to haul it away. Otherwise I probably drop it on q younger Nick that I know.

This year was a lot of payphone stuff (which Luckily I don't collect). I did get a green rotary, a  gold panel, a 10 button 3 slot, and a WE 3A field trial in light gray. and some spare pieces/parts for my payphone non collection.
I will post more about the show on a different board
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Adam

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 20, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
Do you have any examples of 500's/554's with the 'regular' bezel, in black? I'd just love to see picture(s)!

Why, yes, I do!   :)

This is a black 500 set with a regular dial made by ITT for the Puerto Rico Telephone Co.  I really love this phone for the look and its history of knowing where it was used.

BTW, I phonied up the number card using Photoshop from a real number card and inserting the proper original area code for Puerto Rico.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Mr. Bones

Adam, thanks for the pictures! Cool phone, with an interesting background. I was once stationed in Puerto Rico, and I can well imagine the types of conversations that might well have been had on it! ;)

Seeing the black one, as requested, only confirms what I secretly thought to be true... I Gotta Find one! :D The numeric dial plate really mixes up things. I'll have to hunt/scrounge around, see if'n I can find me some of those dial bezels. 8)

Thanks again, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

mienaichizu

Rural dial bezel ITT and SC 500 and also AE 80 are common here in the Philippines

rdelius

The  GTE sets in Hawaii had rural dial bezels

HarrySmith

For anyone interested just came across this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200917736614
An AE numbers only dial plate on a multi-line phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mienaichizu

I also have the same phone in my collection