News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

how to make a 354 key phone.

Started by Babybearjs, September 30, 2017, 02:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

for those who like to tinker.... I built this for my bathroom extension phone....

Parts Needed:

1 101A inductor coil
1 B1A ringer (2 wire)
1 T2 slide socket or a 12 volt indicator lamp housing.
1 #228 modular adapter w/a 6 WIRE plug
1 Suttle 6 WIRE modular wall phone jack (Or equiv.)
1 KS-19504L1 Switch
1 WE 354 wall phone

First, disassemble the 101B inductor coil and remove.
then remove the B2A ringer (4 wire)
replace the inductor coil with the 101A coil, and the ringer with the B1A ringer.
rewire the inductor coil to the WE 352 standard, along with the B1A ringer. After doing this, you should have 2 wires left over....(Grn-Red and Slt-Red) Attach these wires to terminals E and G on the terminal board.
attach the #228 6-wire adapter plate and wire as follows:

Green: L1
Red: L2Y
Yellow: E
Black: G

This will give you dial tone and A Lead control

to add a station busy lamp, do the following:

Where the Turn Button Collar it inside the shell, drill that out to a 1/2" hole. (or smaller as required)
Install the indicator lamp holder and attack the leads to Terminals K and GND. Attach the blue and white wires from the #228
6 Wire Adapter to the K and GND terminals as well. These for your station busy lamp.

When wiring the wall phone jack, wire as follows:

Blue: Ring
White: Tip
Orange: A-Lead
White: AG
Green: Lamp Feed (normally Lamp 1, but assign as needed)
White: LG
Use 4 pair cabling, storing the Brown/White wires unless a buzzer is used. (in addition to the ringer)

the phone will work on 1A1 and 1A2 systems.

To add a ringer cut-off switch, soldering is required to add more wire to the B1A ringer. ( 6-9" should work) when soldering, the original wires are replaced with new longer leads.  once the modified B1A ringer in installed connect the black wire (or whatever color you use) to the Slate wire from the condenser on the terminal board (terminal A) then connect the Red wire to the cut-off switch and a return Red wire to the L1 terminal.

Enclosed are some picture of the project, if anyone is bold enough to do this project!
John

Dan/Panther

I'm not really familiar with a key phone terminology. Can you explain.
Also would you recommend using it while taking a bath ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

basically, I rewired the phone to be used on a Key telephone system and added a light..... there is a section in the KSSM paperwork that explains how to do this with the 500 and newer series phones.... check the TCI library for more info.... Also, I wanted to add... in order to fully upgrade the 354, the phone set has to have all of the terminals shown in this photo. otherwise an additional terminal strip will be required. On some sets, the terminal markings may be different. As for using it in the bath.... its located far enough away from the water not to be a problem.... last time I used it, I told the person I was in the tub and I'd call them back when I was done....
John

Babybearjs

for anyone else whos interested... BSP#502ยท110.102 has the information about this subject. using a non-Key phone on a Key telephone system. the 300 series phones are not included in this BSP as they were already MD by the time this subject was written.
John