News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

sale of 202 with wooden ringer box $125 USD

Started by markosjal, January 23, 2017, 10:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I found what appears to be a Western Electric 202 (no dial) . Luckily this is in Mexico with little competitiion to buy.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-570843191-telefono-antiguo-_JM
I was just curious of a couple of things.

Would this use a 5H dial if I wanted to add one?
Would the dial directly replace the blank cover?
WHen I have seen 202s I usually see metal ringer boxes . Was wood also used or was this frankensteined?

this price equals about 125 US Dollars
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

poplar1

202s originally used an apparatus blank (as shown in photo) or 4H-type dials, but a 5H or 6A can also be used.

This 102/202 is shown with  a 315- or 415-type local battery subset with a generator. Batteries would have been installed in a separate container. As such, this particular phone didn't have a dial since for calling the operator or others on your party line, you would turn the crank.

However, a 202 can be used on common battery manual or dial lines. These didn't have a hand generator at the subscriber's location. The common battery subsets made at the same time as 202s (1930-1939) had metal bases and Bakelite covers (584A, 684A), but there were still lots of metal ones (534A) being used. Many of the metal ones were upgraded to 634As and 634BAs which had a third winding on the induction coil for anti-sidetone circuit.

The wood common battery subsets such as 295A were probably manufacture discontinued by 1920. (They are still shown in the No. 3 WE Catalog of 1916.)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

I also found this rebuilt 5H dial for 1000 Peos or about 50 US Dollars.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-569811748-disco-western-electric-para-telefono-antiguo-_JM
I would sure like to have this working. I could see installing a mini network and leaving the original wiring pretty much intact

Both of those and I would have 175  USD or so invested in it .  Would need many hours of TLC and not sure if the 102/202 base would be metal but I think so

ANy opinions on this?

LarryInMichigan

A 5H dial in the USA can usually be found for under $20, so 1000 Pesos seems rather high, even after the postage cost is figured.

Larry

markosjal

Mexico / USA , Apples/Oranges

Also the dial is clean and rebuilt.

Sargeguy

$125 would be rather high price to pay for that set in the USA.  The box is a magneto subset, and will not work on modern phone lines.  A 315 magneto box can be had for about $20 in nice condition.  Because of the magneto, it would be unlikely to have a dial-it would be manual.  If it did have a dial, it may have had an early 5H, but usually these had a 4h.  The phone is pitted, and the paint is poor as a result. I would think this phone is worth around $50 with the E-1 handset.  The rubber cords are later/not original to the set.     This may not be the 202 you are looking for!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

oldguy

There may be an additional 20% tax on it ;-)
Gary