News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Twenty-Ten" or "Two thousand ten"? Get ready for the new year!

Started by JimH, December 09, 2009, 10:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

I've seen many people refer to next year as "two thousand ten", while I believe the Olympic committee offically refers to it as the "twenty-ten" Olympics.  I even heard Anderson Cooper recently (mis-speak) and call a car model an "Oh-ten".
Many believe 2011 is when most people will start saying "twenty-____".  Am I nit-picking?  I just think it's interesting.  Just as interesting as people who are selling wooden crank phones on Ebay and calling them "turn of the century".  I guess that just happened, and it should mean it's almost new!
Jim H.

jsowers

I'll never forget one time about 1998, someone asked me when I would be eligible to retire with full benefits and I told them "twenty-fifteen." It was the year 2015, but I was speaking and not writing it down. Their response was "What year is that?" They literally didn't know it was 17 years from the present day (1998).

I hope I would say "twenty-ten" for the next year, like I say "nineteen fifty-eight" for the year I was born and not "nineteen hundred and fifty-eight." I don't think you're nit-picking at all. It's interesting to think about.

And when we get to the coming year, can we refer to what we did in the decade 2000-2009 as "what I did back in "Ought-Five?" :)  Or in Jethro's case it would be "Naught." As in "Double-Naught" Spy and his cipherin'. :)
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

It IS an interesting discussion.  While we're at it, it is unbelievable (to me) to think that it has been TEN years since the world was discussing Y2K.  Where did THAT ten years go?  Tick-tock..................

Dan/Panther

Personally, I'm waiting for 12-21-2012, can't wait to lay my head on the pillow that night, and say: "Oh Well".

Where did that ten years go, to the hair in my temples, and my belly.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

This has been driving me nuts for ten years.  We didn't call 1999 "one thousand nine hundred ninety nine" so why would we call 2001 "two thousand one?" I'm guessing it will change next year.  It's just too easy to say "twenty ten" for that not to take hold.  But then I'm usually wrong about this sort of thing.  

Dennis, I hadn't thought of the passage of a whole decade until you mentioned it.  Thanks for making me feel a lot older. ;)
= DARRIN =

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

- Tom

Dennis Markham

McHeath

I have a pair of my old socks from the late 70's that I occasionally put on.  They are goofy striped jobs, such was the era.

Time flies.